DIT - Digital Image Technician

I was wondering little more about the role of a DIT on set. I've seen this job a lot on RED camera sets, has anyone worked in this field before? I know they transfer data, but what programs and plug-ins are necessary? From what I hear, it sounds like an editor meets a film loader. I'd love to know how to do this. Thanks in advance!

I was wondering little more about the role of a DIT on set. I've seen this job a lot on RED camera sets, has anyone worked in this field before? I know they transfer data, but what programs and plug-ins are necessary? From what I hear, it sounds like an editor meets a film loader. I'd love to know how to do this. Thanks in advance!

I haven't worked as a DIT, but I worked quite closely with one as a camera trainee on a RED shoot. The standard setup seems to be a MacBook Pro running Final Cut Studio. You'll be backing files up, logging each take, checking the footage hasn't been corrupted and looking out for errors the camera dept. has made that can't be fixed in post. On bigger productions, the DIT will probably have even more responsibilities.

(Not bad work if you can get it - the DIT I worked with was making 25% more per week than the 2nd AC, and getting to sit in the back of the camera truck all day playing on his iPhone instead of running about in the rain.)

I haven't worked as a DIT, but I worked quite closely with one as a camera trainee on a RED shoot. The standard setup seems to be a MacBook Pro running Final Cut Studio. You'll be backing files up, logging each take, checking the footage hasn't been corrupted and looking out for errors the camera dept. has made that can't be fixed in post. On bigger productions, the DIT will probably have even more responsibilities.

(Not bad work if you can get it - the DIT I worked with was making 25% more per week than the 2nd AC, and getting to sit in the back of the camera truck all day playing on his iPhone instead of running about in the rain.)

Hah, sounds like a great gig. Thanks for the info, I'll continue to research a bit more. I'm gripping on a Nike spec shoot tomorrow and the line producer told me there's a DIT on set. I'll get the low down on it all.

Thanks for your help! :)

Back