digital workstation monitors-square vs. wide

I am nearing completion of research on my digital video workstation before proceeding to place the order with an IT services company.

In relation to computer monitors, my research has indicated that I ought to have one between 20"-22".

I wish to purchase a square screen, but it appears that manufacture & stocking of these square screens in my part of the world has now ceased--all one can obtain is the wide screen.

I would like to ask the seasoned here to indicate what the differences are with these two types of monitors, & their views on these differences.

Thanks.

[As an aside, I didn't want a wide screen because of space limitations on the bench where I would place the monitor. And aesthetically, I prefer a square screen].

Last edited:
I run a 24" widescreen. You can fit more information on it and use higher resolutions so you can see much more of your timeline in your non-linear editor.

4:3 monitors are becoming more and more obsolete as the world at large moves to 16:9.

But if your desk cannot accomodate one, there's nothing wrong with a 4:3 monitor. It will just run your widescreen video playback (when running fullscreen) in letterbox (black bars on the top and bottom). I just like it because I can have a longer timeline visible or I can split the screen with more than one application and still have plenty of room for both.

I use two 19" widescreen monitors for editing.

All it does is give you more workspace and room for a longer timeline and more information on screen at the same time. It's a good thing!

Back