digital films ousted from festivals?

Hello, I talked to someone in the lead of a production company and he said that short film festivals are starting to not acccept the digital format anymore....why is that?

First - did this person say that ALL short film festivals are starting to not accept digital?

I suspect this lead of a production company meant a few of them won't accept digital. I know that some festivals are starting up that require film. I'm on the board of one such festival.

We want to promote the now dying use of film. Hard to believe that the use of film is beginning to slip away, isn't it? Very few beginning movie makers are using film - even Super8 - because it's too expensive and DV is looking better and better.

That's why we want to do a "shot on film" festival.

A quick look of upcoming festivals shows that almost all festivals are still accepting digital. So I think this production company lead is over reacting. Digital is alive and well.

There are some film fests that are film-based... Flicker being one of the better known, for example.

If there has been a sudden (recent) kickback against digital, I'd like to know.

As far as I've read (read, mind you) the only place where digital takes a back seat to film is for finding distributors. There are several threads here on the board that talk about how indie-distributors toss aside DV films to take the time to watch the film submissions first.

soothsayer said:
Hello, I talked to someone in the lead of a production company and he said that short film festivals are starting to not acccept the digital format anymore....why is that?

In my experience, more festivals are accepting digital every year. It's quite the opposite. Anyone submitting and attending film festivals can tell you that.

Back