Difference between shoulder rig and shoulder mount?

I bought a varizoom shoulder mount for $420 a couple months ago, but some guy is selling a Shape DSLR rig system for $650. he said he paid $1600 for it 3 years ago. my varizoom shoulder mount is just made to mount the camera. Should I buy his shape rig or is there no point?

Shoulder rig/mount are essentially the same thing, BUT:

Your Varizoom shoulder mount is probably just a very basic support with rods, shoulder pad, base plate, and handles. Some basic shoulder supports aren't even rod-based (see: Shape Sumo and Shape Chameleon).

The Shape rig in question likely has extra bells and whistles. Lots of Shape's kits in the $1600-1800 range are rod-based with handles, shoulder pad, and camera base plate, but also include follow focus and mattebox along with a top handle/C-bracket.

Should you buy it? Well, I don't know firsthand the quality of Shape's FF and mattebox, but it really comes up to what you can find out about that, and what extra features that rig has that you don't already and if those are features that you know will improve your workflow.

One important thing to remember, though: the more you front-load your rig with extra tools, the more you will need counterweighting behind the shoulder pad.

Last edited:
Back