news DGA Awards Elevate ‘Flight Attendant’ and ‘Queen’s Gambit’ — Plus One Last Win for ‘Homeland’

While the Directors Guild of America Awards aren’t exactly the most accurate Emmy forecasters, Saturday night’s virtual ceremony did offer momentum-building wins for a few key programs — and one final prize for a longtime favorite.

As expected, “The Queen’s Gambit” director Scott Frank took home the DGA Award for Best Movie for Television or Limited Series, beating out the likes of Matt Shakman (“WandaVision”) and Thomas Kail (“Hamilton”).

“If I’m honest, I think this award is more a reflection of my uncanny ability to surround myself with people more talented than I am,” Frank said, adding that he’s “incredibly honored” to be given this award, as well as to be a guild member in general.

After an excellent winter awards run, Netflix’s hit limited series starring Anya Taylor-Joy has established itself as an Emmy frontrunner. The series won an AFI Award, PGA Award, WGA Award (for Frank), SAG Award (for Taylor-Joy), and two Golden Globe Awards, for Best Limited Series and Best Actress. All of these should help the breakout drama sustain buzz through the long build-up to July’s Emmy nominations.

In the first award of the night, Susanna Fogel won for directing “The Flight Attendant,” triumphing in a competitive Comedy Series category that saw dual nominations for “Ted Lasso” and “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”

“Thank you to the DGA, thank you to all my fellow directors in my category — and everyone else, for inspiring me,” Fogel said, going on to note that everyone she worked with on the HBO series “is a good human,” proving “it really is possible to be nice and still make great things.”

Vote splitting could have hurt “Ted Lasso” and “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” but if you’re thinking the only hourlong entry had an advantage due to its length, think again. This is the first hourlong episode to win the Comedy Series category since “Pushing Daisies” in 2007 (despite six nominations for “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” in the last three years alone). And while DGA winners aren’t automatic Emmy frontrunners, they typically help boost their shows with TV Academy voters. Recent DGA winners include “Barry” (twice) and “Veep” (three times), and both of these shows have been well-recognized at the Emmys — which bodes well for HBO Max’s freshman series.

The love for WarnerMedia did not stop there. Amy Schatz and HBO’s “We Are the Dream: The Kids of the Oakland MLK Oratorical Fest” won the top prize for Children’s Programming, following up its win for Outstanding Children’s Program at the 2020 Emmys. Joseph Guidry won another DGA Award for HBO Max, as voters saw fit to honor his work on “Full Bloom” in the Reality Programs category. And DGA President Thomas Schlamme beat out stiff competition in the Variety, Talk, News, Sports – Special category — including Spike Lee for “David Byrne’s American Utopia” and Marielle Heller for “What the Constitution Means to Me” — taking home his fourth DGA Award for helming “A West Wing Special to Benefit When We All Vote.”

“I just had an image of my dear friend Michael Apted, who also happened to win when he was president, and he mentioned something about a home field advantage,” Schlamme said in his acceptance speech, adding that this award carries adding meaning to him after spending four years on the original “West Wing” series.

Home field advantage or not, Schlamme knocked this gig out of the park. The special episode saw veteran stars of the NBC series return for a staged version of the Season 3 episode, “Hartsfield’s Landing,” in order to support When We All Vote, a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to increasing participation in elections.

“Today, 60 years after the Voting Rights Act, so many states are trying or have already passed legislation to [restirct voting],” Schlamme said Saturday night. “We must do […] all that we can to protect that right for all of us.”

Lesli Linka Glatter accepts her DGA Award at the 2021 virtual ceremony

Lesli Linka Glatter accepts her DGA Award at the 2021 virtual ceremony

Courtesy of the Directors Guild of America

Finally, in another exciting upset, Lesli Linka Glatter won the Drama Series DGA Award for her work on the final season of “Homeland,” besting former winner Vince Gilligan (“Better Call Saul”), Emmy winner Jason Bateman (“Ozark”), and 2021 Emmy hopefuls in Jon Favreau (“The Mandalorian”) and Julie Anne Robinson (“Bridgerton”).

“I’m surprised,” Linka Glatter said, as her “Homeland” colleagues cheered behind her. “This is my whole, completely vaccinated, director team. […] I love being a storyteller, and in this incredible team sport, I have the most amazing team. I would not be here without all of them.”

“Oh my God, this is ‘Homeland’s’ last hurrah,” she said. “I’m totally overwhelmed.”

The award marked the second DGA win for Linka Glatter on “Homeland” and her third win overall. (She earned her first trophy in 2010 for the “Mad Men” episode “Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency.”) Linka Glatter was also nominated at last year’s Emmys, which means “Homeland” will not be eligible in 2021. “The Crown” remains this year’s presumed frontrunner in the category (and the Drama races overall), but the British co-production was not eligible for the DGA Awards.

Saturday night served as the first virtual ceremony in the history of the Directors Guild of America Awards. Schlamme greeted the audience watching at home from the DGA Theater Complex in Hollywood, thanking members for their work and efforts throughout the trying year.

“The artistry we honor tonight is due in large part to the sacrifice, spirit, and determination of those who fought for our protections and freedom to bring our visions to life,” Schlamme said in a statement to members. “It is this strong foundation which has continued to guide generations of members in developing the Guild into the vital organization it is today. Never has that mattered more than in the urgency of this year as we overcame the daunting challenge of getting our members back to work safely, and confronted a powerful reckoning of our nation’s systemic ills.”

“Through your creation, people found hope and understanding,” Schlamme said. “More than all, hopefully they saw themselves.”

There was never any suspicion that Chloé Zhao would not win the Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Achievement for Direction of a Theatrical Feature Film for “Nomadland.” The Golden Globe, Critics Choice, and PGA winning film now heads to Sunday’s BAFTA Awards with seven chances to win again, followed by Oscar voting from April 15-20. Zhao is the second woman to win the DGA award (after Kathryn Bigelow for “The Hurt Locker”) and the first Asian woman.

When the movie did not land a SAG Ensemble nomination (given its cast of non-pros), that opened the way for Aaron Sorkin’s “The Trial of the Chicago 7” to win that award, but the PGA and DGA wins for “Nomadland” give it a clear lead in the race for Best Picture and Director. Overwhelmingly, the DGA winner wins the Best Director Oscar. Only eight times in 72 years has that not happened. And more often than not — 50 times — the DGA winner’s movie also wins Best Picture.

Each of the nominees at Saturday’s ceremony gave a presentation on their movie, including “Minari” writer-director Lee Isaac Chung, who admitted that his mother blamed his cinephile father for making him watch “too many movies,” he said. “In making this film about my dad’s dream I have been able to connect with him in a way I could never have imagined.”

Both David Fincher (“Mank”) and Emerald Fennell (“Promising Young Woman”) recalled drawing as children and trying to put what they imagined on the screen. “There is still no other art form that encompasses everything I love,” Fincher said. “Directing is a bit like trying to paint a watercolor from four blocks away through a telescope with a walkie talkie. If it sounds defeatist, I can’t imagine doing anything else.”

Fennell thanked an early visit to the Universal Studios tour for showing her that movies are built by people.

Sound of Metal Riz Ahmed Darius Marder Toolkit Podcast

“Sound of Metal” director Darius Marder on set with Riz Ahmed

Amazon

Both Sorkin and Zhao gave nods to the other directors. Zhao explained how she tries “to listen to two hearts that beat as one,” she said. “I try to be as specific to the details and authentic to the characters as possible…and also to be as universal in the themes and emotional as possible. When these two heartbeats become one, it creates an experience for the audience, to step into a world that is unfamiliar to them and experience the lives of people they may consider the other. Audiences, when they have that experience, walk away and feel a little less alone.”

Last year’s winner of the DGA award for Outstanding Directing of a First Feature Film, Alma Har’el presented the award — previously won by Alex Garland, Jordan Peele, and Bo Burnham — to Darius Marder for his 10-year labor of love, “Sound of Metal.” He seemed surprised. “Come on, that’s crazy,” he said, admitting that the win saved an otherwise “shit day,” and that his iPhone was mounted on a boot on a Kleenex box.

Aurelio-and-Birba-1.jpeg

The Truffle Hunters

As for the DGA Best Documentary winner, “The Truffle Hunters,” it was one of several lauded nonfiction films that did not land an Oscar nomination. “We made this film when we stumbled on a world that felt like a fairy tale,” said Gregory Kershaw, who co-directed with Michael Dweck. “We wanted to celebrate the joy and beauty that still exists in this world.” The directors also thanked Sony Pictures Classics “for taking a chance with this film.” While “Truffle Hunters” beat Oscar favorite “My Octopus Teacher” at the DGA, it is the overall Academy that will be voting for the Oscar, not just the directors’ branch.

Looking ahead, Sunday’s BAFTA race will be less predictive than usual in the directing and acting categories, due to changes in jury voting procedures that failed to nominate many top Oscar contenders, including homegrown Critics Choice-winner Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”), Gary Oldman (“Mank”), Olivia Colman (“The Father”), or Sacha Baron Cohen (“The Trial of the Chicago 7”); also excluded were Globe-winner Andra Day (“The United States vs. Billie Holiday,” SAG-winner Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”), Steven Yeun (“Minari”), or Glenn Close (“Hillbilly Elegy”).

That leaves just a few likely BAFTA winners who should go on to Oscar wins, from Daniel Kaluuya (“Judas and the Black Messiah”) to the late Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”).

The 73rd annual Directors Guild of America Awards kicked off on Saturday evening. The awards honored the best directing in film and television of the past year.

This year, nominees Lee Isaac Chung for “Minari,” Emerald Fennell for “Promising Young Woman,” David Fincher for “Mank,” Aaron Sorkin for “The Trial of the Chicago 7,” and Chloé Zhao for “Nomadland” vied for the top directorial prize for film, with Zhao winning.

On the TV side, “The Queen’s Gambit,” “Homeland,” and “The Flight Attendant” won the major prizes, shaking up the race as we head into Emmys season.

The DGA prize is often considered a bellwether for the Best Director Oscar. Recent DGA winners that went on to repeat at the Academy Awards include Alfonso Cuarón for “Roma,” Guillermo del Toro for “The Shape of Water,” Damien Chazelle for “La La Land,” and Alejandro G. Iñárritu for both “The Revenant” and “Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance).” However, last year’s winner, Sam Mendes for “1917,” lost to Bong Joon Ho (“Parasite”) for Best Director at the Oscars.

Director Betty Thomas received the DGA’s Robert B. Aldrich Achievement Award for her “extraordinary service to the guild and its members.” The Frank Capra Achievement Award went to Brian E. Frankish, while the Franklin J. Schaffner Achievement Award went to Joyce Thomas. Paris Barclay took the organization’s honorary lifetime membership award.

Feature Film

Lee Isaac Chung
“Minari”
(A24)

Emerald Fennell
“Promising Young Woman”
(Focus Features)

David Fincher
“Mank”
(Netflix)

Aaron Sorkin
“The Trial of the Chicago 7”
(Netflix; DreamWorks Pictures)

Chloé Zhao
“Nomadland”
(Searchlight Pictures)

First-Time Feature Director

Radha Blank
“The Forty-Year-Old Version”
(Netflix)

Fernando Frías de la Parra
“I’m No Longer Here”
(Netflix)

Regina King
“One Night in Miami”
(Amazon Studios)

Darius Marder
“Sound of Metal”
(Amazon Studios)

Florian Zeller
“The Father”
(Sony Pictures Classics)

Documentary Feature​

Michael Dweck & Gregory Kershaw
“The Truffle Hunters” (Sony Pictures Classics)

Pippa Ehrlich & James Reed
“My Octopus Teacher” (Netflix)

David France
“Welcome to Chechnya” (HBO Max)

Amanda McBaine & Jesse Moss
“Boys State” (Apple / A24)

Benjamin Ree
“The Painter and the Thief” (Elevation Pictures)

Comedy Series​

Zach Braff
“Ted Lasso,” “Biscuits” (Apple TV+)

MJ Delaney
“Ted Lasso,” “The Hope that Kills You” (Apple TV+)

Susanna Fogel
“The Flight Attendant,” “In Case of Emergency” (HBO Max)

Erin O’Malley
“Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “The Surprise Party” (HBO)

Jeff Schaffer
“Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “The Spite Store” (HBO)

Drama Series​

Jason Bateman
“Ozark,” “Wartime” (Netflix)

Jon Favreau
“The Mandalorian,” “Chapter 9: The Marshal” (Disney+)

Vince Gilligan
“Better Call Saul,” “Bagman”(AMC)

Lesli Linka Glatter
“Homeland,” “Prisoners of War” (Showtime)

Julie Anne Robinson
“Bridgerton,” “Diamond of the First Water” (Netflix)

Movies for Television and Limited Series​

Susanne Bier
“The Undoing” (HBO)

Scott Frank
“The Queen’s Gambit” (Netflix)

Thomas Kail
“Hamilton” (Disney+)

Matt Shakman
“WandaVision” (Disney +)

Lynn Shelton
“Little Fires Everywhere,” “Find a Way” (Hulu)

Variety Talk/News/Sports (Regularly Scheduled Programming)​

Paul G. Casey
“Real Time With Bill Maher,” “Episode 1835” (HBO)

Jim Hoskinson
“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” “#1025 Live Show Following Capitol Insurrection” (CBS)

Don Roy King
“Saturday Night Live,” “Dave Chappelle; Foo Fighters” (NBC)

David Paul Meyer
“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah,” “President Obama: Inspiring Future Leaders & ‘A Promised Land’ (Comedy Central)

Christopher Werner
“Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” “Trump & Election Results” (HBO)

Variety Talk/News/Sports (Specials)​

Stacey Angeles
“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Presents ‘Remembering RBG: A Nation Ugly Cried with Desi Lydic’ (Comedy Central)

Marielle Heller
“What the Constitution Means to Me” (Amazon)

Jim Hoskinson
“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” “Stephen Colbert’s Election Night 2020: Democracy’s Last Stand: Building Back America Great Again Better 2020” (Showtime)

Spike Lee
“American Utopia” (HBO)

Thomas Schlamme
“A West Wing Special to Benefit When We All Vote” (HBO Max)

Reality Programs​

David Charles
“Eco Challenge,” “3,2,1…Go!” (Amazon)

Jon Favreau
“The Chef Show,” “Tartine” (Netflix)

Ken Fuchs
“Shark Tank,” “1211” (ABC)

Joseph Guidry
“Full Bloom,” “Petal to the Metal” (HBO Max)

Rich Kim
“Lego Masters,” “Mega City Block” (FOX)

Children’s Programs​

Kabir Akhtar
“High School Musical: The Musical – The Series,” “Opening Night” (Disney+)

Larissa Bills
“On Pointe,” “Showtime!”(Disney+)

Dean Israelite
“The Astronauts,” “Countdown” (Nickelodeon)

Richie Keen
“The Healing Powers of Dude,” “Second Step: Homeroom” (Netflix)

Amy Schatz
“We Are the Dream: The Kids of the Oakland MLK Oratorical Fest” (HBO)

Commercials​

Steve Ayson
(MJZ)
The Great Chase, Nike – Wieden + Kennedy Shanghai

Nisha Ganatra
(Chelsea Pictures)
#wombstories, Bodyform/Libresse – AMVBBDO

Niclas Larsson
(MJZ)
See the Unseen, VW Touareg – adam&eveDDB
The Parents, Volvo XC60 – Forsman & Bodenfors

Melina Matsoukas