• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Dead Infection - Episode One (15 Mins)

Hey everyone!

Just fiinished my first episode of a series that i am going to make in my spare time for fun and to get better at making films.

All of this has been done for free and on a Canon 550d over 2 months every saturday. I have no money so i currently dont have a external mic for my camera so forgive me for the low sound quality but i hope the rest of the film makes up for it.

Its a mix between the films "The Road" & "28 Days Later". Forgive me for it featuring "zombie" like things, however its a easy way to get free actors. However i believe it is different since i have tried to be original with my content and try coming up with new ideas to make it interesting. It is not a typical zombie film as it has a story.

Tell me what you think, and please do point out the bad points in detail as i would love to imporve.

VIDEO HERE!

Thank you all :)

I liked it, I will be tuning in for another episode. The only thing that didn't work for me was the character development. Especially the older gentleman. He has to much thrown at the audience in one episode. He has a zombie wife, he presumably killed one of the soliders, and he's an alcoholic. Slow it down, you do have 6 episodes.
But over all it was very watchable. Keep up the good work.

Thank you!

Its a very good point you made, didnt realise how much we cramped in about the Older guy.

Glad you enjoyed it

Great great great! I love zombie movies and I love the fact that you didn't include the word zombie in the title or even in the movie at all.

I put out similar content to you, check out my channel here http://www.youtube.com/usnfilms

Currently I'm working on a Left 4 Dead Short Film that I will publish to YouTube, and I'm using similar equipment to you; I have a T3i and a 1.4 50mm lens.

Also, I know you said you're low on budget and using the mic on your camera, but you really should try to save for an external mic, or at least mute the wind in the audio.

Overall, excellent!

Full disclosure I didn't get very far into it. But don't take that as a criticism, it's not really a genre I like and 15 minutes was too much to ask of someone like me. lol. But here's some minor stuff I noticed in the first few minutes.

More coverage, especially in that wider shot. There were so many places where you could have cut to a new angle so it would have felt less static. Like when the one guy comes out of the forest and kneels, you can cut to a close shot of him kneeling and peering off. Then a pov shot of what he sees (ie: coast is clear). That sort of thing.

The next cut to the closer shot of them walking in the open was off by just a little. There are just a few frames of lag between the first guy walking off screen and him walking on in the second shot. Just a small thing, but a few frames can make a big difference in how something feels.

@1:12 the camera was way too shaky for me. well beyond the good handheld action look.

Nice camera angle @1:21

The green atmosphere is good, especially for the genre, but more skin tone or warm highlights for the actors would help to make them pop.

Some shots are over exposed @1:37, for example. Others have the blacks crushed too much.

That's all I got from the first few minutes. Keep at it, you're doing really well! :D

Thank you both as well. All of this really helps me and im trying to take in as much as i can :)

Dreadylooks everything you have said is true and thanks for the tips, hopefuly the next one i do i can make it alot better. I kind of rushed this one as well because it was all done in a house and the garden, so had a time slot. Will be great when i get to film the next one out in the open.

THe support helps alot :) Try and fit in the filming as much as i can around being a runner for special effects company in london.

Back