• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Daylight bulbs-what wattage?

Let me stand up: *ahem*

"My name is Tinalera, and I use daylight bulbs"

Now, that out of the way, what's the best wattage for daylight bulbs, or should I get a variety? My first ones I got were 100 watts, but then for a recent scene, my background light was too bright. I use table lamps and daylight bulbs, and I just wonder if there's a "happy medium" wattage, or should I see about getting a range?

If you're using them in practicals it might make sense to buy some lower wattage bulbs - if they're off-camera (or in practicals where it's practical, if you'll excuse the pun) a bit of ND gel would do the trick.

Brooksy-Both of these ideas sound good-having dimmer and variety of lights gives me options with dimming different wattages. I hadn't thought of the dimmer, a good idea! :)

Chilipie-Yea, that was part of my problem in the shot, I only had the higher watt bulb as a practical, so it was a little brighter than I wanted (with no dimmer or gel). A dimmer would have avoided that. Still, the effect I wanted worked pretty well otherwise.

Part of this wonderful interest is you're always learning something new to use the next time! :)

If by daylight bulbs you mean CFLs you need to check they'll work with a dimmer - a lot of them won't, and the ones that do can be a bit pricier.

Back