• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Day for Night

OK....

1) Who's shot day for night before and what are some helpful primers to keep in mind?
2) Can you post link to footage so I can see?

It gets REALLY dark at night down at the location I'm shooting at in the fall. I might shoot a mix of day-for-night, magic hour and dead-of-night... how flexible can I be with day-for-night? Will all three methods match? Are they all going to have to be tripod-ed static shots? Can I do glidecam/track shooting? What about shooting the sky? Is After Effects the best bet?

Just curious... ;)

I can light it for you, but it would take about 12hours, haha

just kidding, i would need to know more to help you out. what lights do you have and what the backgrounds are, shoot wide first and save tights for last if you want to shoot day-for-night...you can get away with it sometimes.

I tried some day for night tests a few years back. They didn't turn out good enough to ever post them (or keep them for that matter).

From what I determined, it's better to stay away from harsh shadows on objects (ground, benches, etc.), because no matter what you do to them, they always look like sunlight.

Back