CYRUS

Any movie starring John Reilly and Marissa Tomei is going to be worth watching, and Cyrus was excellent. The one thing that sucked about this movie was the cinematography. Every scene had that hand held feel, which was okay. But, then it'd be zoom in, then zoom in again. So obnoxious, pretentious and most of all distracting.

When I went to imdb to see what others were saying, there was a topic "Why the sloppy camera work". I knew it was off-base. This wasn't sloppy, it was the director and DP's choice. All the people defending the camera work praised that it added emotion to the scenes. What BULLSHIT. If you need zoom ins on every scene for every blink of an actor's eye, then you have a serious poor acting problem. That wasn't the case with Cyrus. The actors did their jobs with expert precision, and the DP distracted from it.

When you're making a movie and you want to do "technically difficult things" that's extremely iffy on your limited budget, sit and watch It's A Wonderful Life. It's Frank Capra at his best. With the exception of a few (and I mean few) camera movements, it was set up shot, get the hell away from the camera and let the actors do their job.

Good script and acting create the emotion, not zooming in and out like you're working a camera for the time. That's just nauseating.

Last night I saw Happy Tears with Parker Posey, another fine movie. The camera work in Cyrus reminded me of something Posey explains. She's asked about the style and look of the paintings of a dead artist. She replies "When you look at them, they look like nothing. You won't get it at all. But, if you know about this type of art, and you know about this other type of art, then you might start to understand what you're seeing".

True art is not an inside joke.

This movie was the first Hollywood production from the Duplass bros., a duo that made a little name for themselves with a couple mumblecore hits. The camerawork you're talking about is kind of necessary to their methodology for getting good performances in mumblecore (or at least it can be argued), but I'd hoped they would've adapted once they were finally given a budget.

Personally, I've been inspired by their success, as many people have heard me mention on this forum, though I will admit that I'm not a fan of the constant zoom-in-and-out method. I haven't seen "Cyrus", but by the way you describe it, I imagine I would also be annoyed by that.

Back