Crowdfunding: When a national tragedy or disaster hits

We recently launched an Indiegogo campaign one week before the Orlando tragedy.

We followed all the recommendations for film including setting up our teams, building out the perks, having updates every day including videos and photos, we even made interviews with our cast and crew. We sent emails the first few days then followed up with Social Media and expanded from there. Our plan looked through and complete.

Everything was going great after that first week and then Orlando happened. The world paused and so did we. We all took time to reflect on what is important in life. Our movie also has gun violence in it so we were not going to push it in peoples faces during such an important discussion in the social media world.

So we waited 1 week, now its been 2 weeks and things never recovered on our campaign. So much attention had been rightfully focused onto the tragedy - we were not prepared with a plan to pull people back into what we were doing. We tried to pick up the conversation again and started posting - but a lot of our network team members were distracted as well.

Nobody can plan for every situation - but its something to think about when you work so hard on your Crowdfunding project and then something like this happens. What is your backup plan in case of a major new or world event?

We have 1.5 weeks left in our campaign - we decided to do a strong push to our local press for the last week and we have an article coming out in our local papers next week. We are hoping this will help bring in some of the extra support we lost mid-stream.
Our other option is to lengthen the campaign but Im not sure that is the way to go?
Does anyone have any opinions on extending the time of the campaign? Or just ending it and moving on to the next phase of fund raising?

here is a link to our Indiegogo campaign page if you want to check it out.

http://igg.me/at/SixFeetFilm/x/14289024

Response to - "Crowdfunding: When a National Tragedy or Disaster strikes" -
Orlando, Brexit, Texit, there are always disasters, tragedies, and impactful news happening. To be fair, yes, our appeals for campaign funds can sound trite compared to a massacre, or the DOW plunging due to BREXIT and everybody losing their shirt - BUT - people can't stay in that mode for long. Nor should they want to. Not only that - but we must not sell ourselves short. We started a campaign because we believe strongly in our hearts that something about our project can help the world in some way, even if it's on a smaller scale than a national tragedy. And after these types of tragedies, people need entertainment more than ever. I say, you should have videos and posts ready to go way before your campaign starts, and dole them out regularly. And be ready to tweak them, by giving respect to these tragedies, but then having a little blurb about why this is important to take their minds off THAT, always being respectful, of course.
If anyone wants to see my Indiegogo campaign, please visit -
www.sexmonsoon.com

Except that with crowdfunding, you're not aiming at the industry for financing, you're looking at Joe the Plumber who's focus will be understandably diverted by Orlando, but also by the OTHER 150 terrorists attacks globally since (no exaggeration). It's not about "selling ourselves short", it's about being sensitive to the fears in the real world. And I'm not sure people will embrace an "invest in our movie and it'll take your mind off the tragedies in the world" sales pitch. Success is all about good timing, and bad timing is deadlier than casting Paulie Shore. And I wonder if withdrawing a project from crowdfunding with the explanation that "with the recent tragedy in Orlando in mind, we felt obliged to withdraw our project bla bla bla (fill in whatever reason you wish)" would give a second shot at successful funding? I'm curious if anyone's pulled a project from crowdfunding and relisted it successfully.

Back