• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Critique Music Video Lighting

Hi Guys,

Shooting a music video in a couple of weeks and was wondering if you could all give some advice on my planned lighting setup - perhaps chiming in with some advice/changes depending on your experiences. Shot and lit plenty before but this will be my first live performing band.

The video will be recorded to a playback track in a rehearsal space. The idea is lots of closeups of the band playing and very little in terms of wides. We want the background of the room as non visible as possible.

The drums will be off centre, with the rest of the band (five piece) in a semi circle in front, facing the drummer, as if in rehearsal.

I am lighting with LED spotlights (500 LEDs) and a couple of extras.

Setup plan is to have one light on a boom stand, arched high above the drum kit from the behind the drummer on right hand side, at angle. This light will illuminate the kit and the floor around, also a hair light for the drummer.

Two other spot lights behind the other instrumentalists, pointing towards the drums. This should provide some outline around them as they perform, and aso illuminate the drummers face.

I also will have a China ball on a boom stand, hanging in the middle of the group circle, just above their heads, that hopefully iluminating their faces.

As extras I will have a couple of small LED (30 lights) at the base of any guitar amps to throw some lights on those, and an rotolight on top of my camera for any instrument close ups that require a bit more.

Anyone got 2 cents on that? I'm hoping it will provide good defining light on the band but not over illuminate the room around them (shabby practice room). Hoping through camera angle, lighting and post I can make it look as high end considering location as possible.

Back