• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Creating a character the audience cares about

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to making films. I have never done one but have always wanted to do it as I live and breathe movies. My aim is to create a film, around 10 - 15 minutes, so I can get some experience in film making. I am in the middle of writing a screenplay and have the basic outline already. The plot revolves around an unsuspecting passer by who witnesses a murder, the murderer sees him and sets out to chase the witness down before he makes it to the police. (Pretty deep plot, right? haha) Although I am using this film mostly as a learning experience and to have a bit of fun, I would like the audience to be at least a little interested in the main character and care about the outcome. But how do you do that in 15 minutes when you barely have enough time to establish the character? I'd really like to keep the duration down as low as possible so I'm not swamped with too much editing. Is it even possible to create a character that the audience wants to prevail in such a short time in a movie that is mostly about the chase between the main character and the murderer?

Thanks for any tips and tricks given!!

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to making films. I have never done one but have always wanted to do it as I live and breathe movies. My aim is to create a film, around 10 - 15 minutes, so I can get some experience in film making.
Welcome.

I am in the middle of writing a screenplay and have the basic outline already. The plot revolves around an unsuspecting passer by who witnesses a murder, the murderer sees him and sets out to chase the witness down before he makes it to the police. (Pretty deep plot, right? haha) Although I am using this film mostly as a learning experience and to have a bit of fun, I would like the audience to be at least a little interested in the main character and care about the outcome. But how do you do that in 15 minutes when you barely have enough time to establish the character? I'd really like to keep the duration down as low as possible so I'm not swamped with too much editing. Is it even possible to create a character that the audience wants to prevail in such a short time in a movie that is mostly about the chase between the main character and the murderer?

15 minutes is loads of time. In fact, the shorter the film the quicker you need to develop the character.
Code:
INT.  FAMILY GROCERY - DAY

Small family run store.  Sparsely stocked with cracked paint and ancient 
freezers.

Ted (20s), a young urban professional, heads to the check out counter 
with a few items.  

He looks over, sees a bouquet, smiles, grabs a bundle, and adds it to 
the items.

He pays the clerk.

BELL  over the door rings as he leaves.

EXT.  FAMILY GROCERY - DAY

A small corner family own store with faded colors in a rundown neighborhood.

He comes out of the door, pauses to pull out his cell phone, and steps down 
onto the sidewalk carrying a small bouquet and small bag.

TED
            Hey, I was just on my way home...

He walks to the corner and waits for the walk light.

TED
            ... did you need anything?

INT.  SMALL APT. - DAY

Rachel (20s) works around the kitchen, the phone pressed to her
ear.

RACHEL
            Hurry home for dessert before dinner.

EXT.  CITY STREET - DAY (CONTINUOUS)

Ted crosses the street.

A smile flashes across his lips.

TED
            How could I refuse an invitation like that?
            Gotta ...

He walks along past an alleyway and glances down.

EXT.  ALLEY WAY - DAY

Two men are pressing another in a gray business suit against a
dumpster.  

One has pulled a gun and shot the man in grey.

BANG!  BANG!

The one not holding a gun swings around and stares at Ted
who has frozen.

RACHEL (O.S.)
               Ted? ... What was that?  Are you okay?

EXT.  CITY STREET - DAY (CONTINUOUS)

Ted breaks off running.

TED
               My god!  I just saw someone get shot.
               I think they saw me.

He hangs up the phone and continues to run, dodging
around pedestrians.

In the background, the two thugs emerge from the alley and
begin a hot pursuit.

etc.

Ted is immediately "every man"--loving boyfriend/husband who was just heading home. It doesn't require a full backstory of his profession, etc. His "motivation" is just to stay alive and return to his normal life. This short segment sets up all of act one in about a minute. Now you're ready to jump into act two, the meat of the story.

By using simple visual anchors of "normal life", the audience hooks into Ted's character. Part of this will also be the actor's responsibility. In the script, I don't have to detail all the description, I just need to give the framework.

I used Rachel to provide an outside voice to the audience later. This allows for some tense "God I love you/miss you/etc." type tension later. Of course, you can eliminate her also and make it purely them against him. Just keep the phone conversation one way. There are lots of ways to approach your story, just be sure to start with your protagonist engaged in some activity then move on. Limit the exposition (telling the audience about your main character) and focus on showing the character acting in a way that displays their nature.

The other thing is create a symbol. I might carry the flowers idea all the way through. It may seem irrational but it is symbolic. He keeps losing some from the bouquet. In the end (I like satisfying endings), he would be wheeled into the ambulance. Rachel would run up and he would hold up the one daisy left. He'd give a weak smile and hand it to her, "This is for you." Okay, sounds trite and corny, but the flower is a tie from beginning to end. So he went from a "normal" existence into the "crazy world" and returns to the "normal" world a little worse for the wear but transformed. This is the essence of the hero's journey and makes for good storytelling.

When you get it drafted, post it to the group so others can offer feedback. While it can sometimes seem picky, everyone here is supportive and well intentioned. Good luck.

Last edited:
Is it even possible to create a character that the audience wants to prevail in such a short time in a movie that is mostly about the chase between the main character and the murderer?

It's not easy to do. But certainly it can be done. Best advice I could give you is to make sure YOU care about the character, hopefully that'll bleed through the page and onto the screen.

Thanks for help guys, especially FantasySciFi. You're post really helped.

Any ideas on how you plan to end it? That will help as to how to develop the character.
I'm not quite sure how to end it yet. I'd like some kind of twist if I could pull it off right. I'm still trying to work out the beginning... who was murdered, the reason behind it, and how the main character stumbles upon it. I have basically written the chase up to the end climax and I will adjust it appropriately when I decide on the opening act.

It is just so hard not to copy something that I have seen in a movie! Coming up with an original idea is a lot harder than I expected. Even though this film will be basic and a way for me to learn, I would like to have at least a little bit of originality.

Two key concepts:

15 minutes is an eternity.
There is nothing new under the sun, these stories have been around as long as men have had minds.

Your going for empathy, so even if your character is UNLIKEABLE, people can still CARE what happens... for example: Hannibal Lecter, nobody should LIKE him, but everyone can empathize with him.. "If I was gong to be a cannibalistic psychopath, Id want to be just like Hannibal!"

Check out Rober McKees "Story" its a short read\listen and has some good stuff about this..

I think you should give the character a passion, something he is really deep into, so that we like him for that. See Zuckerberg _I really scorn at that guy_ but we get attached as he is a genious.
Make him a passionate man and people will love him (hm, but you have to relate his passion with his salvation, his knowledge or ability should save him out of his fate)
Even if it is in bugs, painting, some online games, jewels, big burgers...
We viewers love crazy guys with a human heart ;)

Last edited:
Back