• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cover vs Original Song

Hi! I'm working on a no-budget film with some friends and our director has her heart set on using a specific piece of music for the opening credits. She has some one in mind to do a cover of the song, and I was wondering if this would mean we would need to get rights to cover the song AND rights to use it in the film? Or if we covered it if we could use it however we wanted? She's willing to scrape together some funds for music ($100-$200) specifically for this song, but that's about all we can afford.

I'm thinking it might be a better to ask around our local indie scene and see if we can't find someone with a similar sound to create an original song for us. What do you folks with experience think?

And, if it matters, the song is "If You See Jordan" by Something Corporate. Thanks in advance!

I find that original music is always better and cheaper. A local band will usually let you use the music for little or no money, just fr the oppurtunity to get their stuff heard. Just make sure you get the rights to use it in all venues.

I'm going to go ahead and say that -- cover or not -- you are not leagally allowed to use the song without permission. Someone else will be better able to chime in on the actual process for obtaining music rights. This will be especially painful if you try to submit your film to festivals. Most festival coordinators ask for proof of permissions.

Back