• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Costumes and sound for a medieval film shoot.

I'm posting here today to try and find willing hands for an indie medieval film shoot in Ohio. Preproduction has not officially started yet but there is a complete draft of the screenplay that is going through revisions. We have some equipment and some hands already, but what we are primarily needing to focus on right now is finding people to handle sound, effects, and costuming/props. In particular, if there are any makeup artists or cosplayers on here that have closets they can raid for cloaks and suits of armor, we would love to have you on board for the project.

This is currently non-profit, pending the interest that we can generate in it, so we are not looking to sink any money into the project. That also means that none of us will be getting paid. This is strictly for fun and to add work to our portfolios. That being said, if someone knows where we can get costumes super super cheap, go ahead and post that as well. Or if anyone has suggestions on places we might try for donations, that would also be helpful.

Thanks, and I hope to hear back from some people on this one!

The first thing the must happen for a "medieval" sound design is the complete absence of modern sounds. Otherwise you need lots of era appropriate sounds such as nature, wood, horses and other animals - very agricultural. The rest will depend upon your settings.

Ok, dont ask how I know this..

Ye be in the mid realm of the SCA.

http://www.midrealm.org/

Find an event, go check them out, meet the local leaders. Tell them your making a movie that needs a lot of costumed extras.. BOOM. Once they are on your side, you can surely find someone to loan you costumes for your principle cast.

http://www.midrealm.org/calendar/

EDIT: DONT JUST SEND EMAIL. Don't even contact them until you've MET them face to face. Be enthusiastic, be interested in what THEY do. Not just what they can do for you. They get asked this stuff all the time, so respect their passion and build relationship first.

Even better, take a hand held camera rig\small crew to the event. These guys love the camera, and shoot some footage. Get the head guy in charges info and post the footage on youtube! You will have instant cred.

Last edited:
A think you could do in order to find costumes is to call the local theater .

I am shooting a short film myself and the people there were very nice and gave me all the props and costumes I needed for the short .

yeah, but look at your profile pic.. I mean, obviously your a Celtic nerd! lol whereas my pic is me with a gun.. uncool to be associated with SCA.. lol Just kidding, love these guys. I (ok, my mother in law) had SCA run my wedding!

yeah, but look at your profile pic.. I mean, obviously your a Celtic nerd! lol whereas my pic is me with a gun.. uncool to be associated with SCA.. lol Just kidding, love these guys. I (ok, my mother in law) had SCA run my wedding!

I'm nerdy in all sorts of ways...but let's face it, most of us are, that's why we're here! An SCA-run wedding is a pretty awesome thing!

If I recall, the makers of the Gamers movies (definitely worth a watch if you've ever played D&D) used their local SCA for actors, knocking up the production quality quite a bit!

Back