Convert QuickTime to WMV

I have a high quality render of a QuickTime movie. I would like to convert it into Windows Media format. Could someone suggest a way to do this? I use a PC with Sony Vegas for all editing. Vegas will import the file, but only the audio shows up in the timeline -- it does not recognize the video. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hopefully someone will give you a better response to this than I will. I haven't really been able to do this conversion at a high quality with my existing tools. I would check out a conversion tool such as this one. HTH.

WideShot said:
What type of codec did you use for the video? That usually happens when Vegas doesn't work with whatever video codec you used.

I did not render the video originally. A friend of mine made the video on his Mac with Final Cut Express and used the latest QuickTime codec (QT 7???). I'm not a Mac user so I don't know how QuickTime works as a compressor.

yeah.. I would installed the latest quicktime.. pro is only $30 and well worth it.. I'd wager it's probably the H.264 codec, or whatever their new ipod friendly one is, but never can be sure.

If all else fails, I could do it for you.. ;)

You have a couple options from my experience. Like Wideshot suggests, make sure to install the latest version of Quicktime (7.0.4). If Vegas still won't see it try opening the file in Quicktime itself. If it loads you should be able to export the movie (under File) to an AVI (not a WMV). Once that's done you should be able to import the AVI into Vegas and do what you need to do.

If THAT doesn't work another option is a program called VirtualDub. It's pretty good at handling conversions.

If you still have issues PM me and assuming the file isn't huge you can send it to me and I'll see what I can do.

Back