Conforming in FCP7 & Merged Clips

Let me start by saying that I'm not an editor by trade, and do not consider myself particularly 'technical', but as a VFX guy I like develop a plan before I dive into a project.

I wanted to learn two workflows before I started editing my short:
1) How to do an offline edit in ProRes-Proxy and then conform the project to ProRes-HQ (and back if needed).
2) Editing with dual-system sound.

CONFORM
Conforming was a snap. I have my Proxy footage on one external drive and the HQ footage on another. When I want to conform, I eject the Proxy drive, mount the HQ drive, launch FCP, and then Reconnect the Media. There, easy.

MERGED CLIPS
When dealing with dual system sound it's common practice to merge the video and production sound clips together in the Browser (right-mouse>Merge Clips), so you can edit them as a single entity in the timeline. I did a few test edits and then conformed the project to HQ, and found that Final Cut would NOT reconnect the media to the merged clips.

SOLUTION
After some research I found that there's another way to create a merged clip: In the timeline, Link the audio & video together (click Modify>Link), and then drag the clip from the timeline back into the Browser, where it becomes a new merged clip. Now I am able to conform this project to HQ with no media reconnection problems whatsoever.

Apparently, Final Cut has two flavors of merged clips: One that allows you to conform, and one that makes you crazy.

Back