• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Computer-monitor setup

Hi everyone,

I've already posted this in the newbie section, but I thought the thread would be better placed here:

I'm aiming to make my first short film in the next six months or so -- filming, editing etc. My aim is to submit the film to festivals, probably on Digital Beta or SP Beta Video Tape. I'll be using a JVC GY-HM100 for filming (as well as other gear), and will be using a Premiere Pro for editing. The machine for editing is a pumped up laptop, with plenty of power and RAM. I also have plenty of external drives for storage. However, the screen on the laptop is terrible. So, my question is, how do I ensure that what I see on my monitor is what viewers/judges at festivals will see? Do I need a broadcast monitor? (Hope not, very expensive.) Or, can I get away with an LCD monitor (something like the Dell U2311H ... or two of them) with a Black Magic Intensity box to ensure the full YUV colour space is at least getting as far as the monitor/s? This is what I'm heading towards, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this whole area.
Thanks,
D

Getting the monitor calibrated is a great start and will help out a lot, especially for filmmakers on a budget. Then once the budget comes in then you can upgrade. You can do it without a broadcast monitor. Most indie filmmakers do!

Back