• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Compressing with Vegas 5.0

If anyone uses this program or even if you don't could you please tell me some good compression settings to get a good picture quality at a 720x480 resolution and preferrably aiming for 3mb per minute.

Thanks,
Ian

There are specific templates in the drop down box when choosing wmv or mov for specific bitrates. 3mbps is going to give you great quality, but is your server up to it? Try the default templates and see if they work for you.

At $500.00 US to purchase the mainconcept codec for 264, I can't recommend that over the free solutions that are out there right now. I have been very happy with Mpeg4 video in quicktime and WMV.

WideShot said:
There are specific templates in the drop down box when choosing wmv or mov for specific bitrates. 3mbps is going to give you great quality, but is your server up to it? Try the default templates and see if they work for you.

Yes, I know it has these options, but the file sizes are to big.

mrde50 said:
The best source for compression is http://www.mainconcept.com/ I've used these products and they rock. Especially the H.264 encoder which defaults to 3M at 720x480 resolution.

Sample: I had a 74MB file, it took the file down to 7.6MB at full resolution with VERY LITTLE degradation of video. It's a bit pricey, but well worh it.

Thanks, but like WidShot said, way to expensive.

You cannot, that is why there is a tradeoff. If there was some magic bullet that everyone could use we'd all be watching full length flicks that are 2mb in size. That won't happen.

Right now you basically have 3 choices:

1) WMV

2) Quicktime

3) Flash Video

With any of them, there is a tradeoff.

Personally, I did not find a setting of any of the codecs that was "quality" to me at full res 720x480 with low enough file size to make it viable. But if you reduce to frame size or resolution, then you can get some nicer quality at lower file sizes.

Back