• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Composer rates

Hola again! I'm working with a composer for original music for an indie short. Since I've never hired a composer before and he's never scored music for a film before, we're both at a loss what would be a fair rate to charge? This short film is about 10 mins. I'm guesses around 7-9 mins worth of music. He's had experience with composing for software gaming companies but never film or any indie work. Is it about the same kinda rate?

Thanks for all responses in advance!

string.jpg

What can you afford? How important is the short? What's he asking for? And a thousand other variables.

In most situations like this a hundred bucks or so (plus his expenses, if any) will take care of things, maybe a nice bottle and/or a (modest) dinner if things went really well. At this point in both of your careers - you're both doing this for experience, right? - it's more a token of respect for his time and talents than anything else.

Other than that, as I said, too many variables.

If you have garageband you can compose an original score with no copyright limitations. That kinda sucks though since anyone who has worked with GB knows the loops you're using and it comes off a little cheap.

As for paying a legit composer or even some local musicians, I'm not too sure how much they'd charge, but I would expect to pay a lot for their time because they'll have to sit for hours with your film and decide what sounds are best for the emotions in your scenes.

If you don't want to do that, I'd suggest finding some music that's free domain.

He's had experience with composing for software gaming companies but never film or any indie work. Is it about the same kinda rate?
Sounds like the perfect place to start. You know your budget, he knows
what he charges for software gaming companies. Is that fee reasonable
to both of you? Since there is is no chance YOU will make money on this
is that fee (what he charges for software gaming companies) too high?
From what we're hearing. Standard composer pay is anywhere from 2%-10% of the total budget. Has anyone heard similar?
I have heard this. It seems reasonable for a fully funded feature where
everyone is getting paid. If your total budget is $500 then $10 (2%)
seems low for a composer. Unless of course you didn't pay your crew
or actors. But if your budget was higher than $5,000 then 3% or even
5% seems reasonable.

Is this fee for just composing? Or is if for recording the entire score?
Does the fee you're asking about include recording costs; include any
musicians; any studio time; cover any of his expenses?

I'm saying the same thing Alcove is; you are not offering enough info
to get a usable answer. There is no set rate especially for a 10 minute
short. Free is reasonable in this case. A nice stipend of a hundred bucks
is nice, a bottle of his favorite whiskey or a 12 pack is fine in this case.

I hope you tell us what the two of you worked out...
favorite whiskey

We worked out a rate for several hundred. Considering my budget for the film is 40k-50k, this was a good deal. I've been waiting to work with this composer for a long time, I think he's fantastic so I'm looking forward to how the film's entire score comes out.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Cheers!

Hola again! I'm working with a composer for original music for an indie short. Since I've never hired a composer before and he's never scored music for a film before, we're both at a loss what would be a fair rate to charge? This short film is about 10 mins. I'm guesses around 7-9 mins worth of music. He's had experience with composing for software gaming companies but never film or any indie work. Is it about the same kinda rate?

Thanks for all responses in advance!

NOW VERY CHEAP COUNTRY/FOLK. SOME LOOP. MUSIC ON POND 5
http://audiojungle.net/user/jackdew/portfolio
http://www.pond5.com/artist/Michaljospetr

Back