Compatible consumer/prosumer camcorder to use with DSLR

Hi folks.

I use a 60D as my primary camera and I love it. The thing of it though is that I am a beginner and have not yet perfected my workflow so I find that I waste time setting up shots and what not. Now I don't mind doing that as I close in and need more detail for medium and closer shots. However, I was wondering if it was efficient and practical to use an affordable yet quality consumer/prosumer camcorder as my second camera for my long shots, cutaways and B roll?

If that is a good idea, which affordable consumer/prosumer camcorder does the IT faithful recommend that will shoot at a decent enough quality so that it's footage can be cut with my 60d footage (with the least amount of post prod pain)?

If that's a bad idea then I can go with option no. 2 - which is like to buy a T2i (or 3i) as the secondary camera for this and maybe dare to do some two camera work. But I'd really like to go camcorder here to speed things up a bit.

Let me know what you think, folks. Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, a T2i would intercut perfectly with your 60D as they have exactly the same sensor and output the same quality image!

You only really want a second camera on narrative shoots when you have a cameraman to operate it! On Interviews, 2 Cameras are perfect. Shoot on a 35mm and a punch in on a 85mm for example.

I would really suggest a T2i if that's what you're going for!

Thanks, Phil. I understand. plus it makes sense to go with a second DSLR anyway as I am building quite the arsenal of lenses. So I am with you.

Question though, on a simultaneous camera shoot like you mentioned above, are both cameras running at the same time from different angles? Just wondering.

Thanks for your response and help, Phil.

Back