• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Color Correction Test Footage and Critique.

Hi all,

This is a 7 second clip from my film From the Core. It is a zombie flick. The total video is 14 seconds long with the first 7 being the original shot and the last 7 being my correction of it. What I need is your help on telling me what works in this. Also what doesn't work? Lastly how can I improve the look? I made it a little darker because I didn't want to over saturate it with blue like a lot of horror films do.

Thanks,

Jeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lszvA8TdSeM

The dark doesn't look quite right.

I would start over by asking yourself what environment he's supposed to be in? Where's the light in the environment coming from? What kind of light source is it? Once you have that in mind, color grade towards that look instead of just dimming the shot as a whole.

Let me start by correcting you. What you did was colour grading not correction. If you want to correct, use RGB parades and vectorscopes. Good luck.

First off, I wouldn't use the vignette. You can use SOME, but don't cover the whole BG with it. Then play around with the levels or the curve to make the shot darker (not too dark that you'll lose detail in the blacks though). Lastly, move the mid & high color wheels to the blue side. You can do this with the shadows as well.

Just don't over-do it. Keep it simple. :)

Good luck!

The Vignette doesn't work with the lighting that the man has, the edges work but the man almost feels like he is in a different environment to it. The Vignette also appears to have a fake DOF on it which doesn't work here. It could work given the right grading but currently it does not. I think he is too red looking

Back