• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Color Correction help!

Hello guys.
I am total noob when it come's to color correction and grading. I only have Premier Pro CS6 , so could any one suggest nice basic tutorials for color correction? How and where do I start off?

Regards

Well to start you've got some basic tools like brightness & contrast, fast color corrector, three way color corrector and of course RGB curves. From my understanding 3 way color corrector and curves achieve very similar results but you go about editing them in different ways. Color corrector has a color wheel where as curves has the diagonal lines which essentially adjust the level of the spectrum you're adjusting.

I'm not particularly experienced with color correcting, but these are the options I use when I grade/correct within PP. I usually just tweak these until I get to something I like, or in the case of correcting, until I arrive at a level of continuity between shots

Last edited:
Correcting or grading?

Colour correcting is correcting the colour of one or more clips so that it matches the preceding or following clips.

Colour grading is giving your scenes and film an overall look and style.

At the very basic level, you have to have a bit of understanding of colour theory and the colour wheel - for example, I know that if something is too green, I'll be adding more magenta.

Start by understanding the basics:

https://vimeo.com/55139561

Then decide on a program you want to use:

If you have a strong computer and want to invest your time in understanding how to work with a more complex workflow. Download the free DaVinci Resolve Lite. Eventually, this gives you tools that are simply amazing, fast and would save you a lot of time in the future.

Since you are using Adobe Premiere, your second option is to stay within the Adobe workflow.
You have a program called Speedgrade, which is close to DaVinci, but will give you an easier workflow if you keep your project within the Adobe circle.

You can also try After Effects, it will give you many more tools, along with plugins if you need, it will eventually give you plenty of flexibility. However, it is more time consuming if you really want to color correct and grade in great detail, since it doesn't have some of the built-in CC tools other color correction programs have; it is a composting tool.

The remaining options I would suggest are simpler products, such as working within Premiere. Cineform's CC program or a CC program that is dedicated to your codec, such as RED's program.

After watching the video, let us know what you want to try out and I'll send you some starter tutorials.

Good luck.

Back