Cold call (email) pitching

What's your process when pitching something to a potential collaborator? In the past, I've tended to work with people I tangentially knew, so the process was a bit more colloquial as we had a common point of reference.

But for my current project, I'm looking to go a bit wider in attaching the people I want. I'd give them a call if I could, but I only have an email for the first person I'm wanting on board.

My current plan is to keep it short and sweet. An email no longer than a paragraph, with a strong logline to hook him, and then ask if he'd like to have a look at a basic one page treatment and an excerpt of the script.

Would this be a good approach? Or would it be better to attach those documents in the first email? Or is there another approach in general?

If anyone has examples of their own successes in attaching people to their projects, that'd be useful too!

Cheers

I think it might better to attach the documents instead of waiting for an okay and then sending them. Streamlines the process a little bit but that's just my initial impression.

Definitely always professional, clear and succinct. If you can't manage that in an email, who'd want to work with you? :)

Also, even if you're approaching a lot of people, take the time to send a personalised version to each one. Briefly let them know why you want to work with them specifically. You're much more likely to get the recipient interested if they feel you actually know who they are and like what they do, rather than just firing the same copy-and-paste text to 200 addresses you found on the internet.

On a practical note, my experience (albeit more in the music than the film world) is that a lot of people/companies hate getting unsolicited emails with attachments. If I had to send documents with a first-contact email, I'd provide a download/web link rather than attaching stuff direct to the email. (In some cases this can also be useful in allowing you to check whether they've actually bothered looking at it or not...!)

On a practical note, my experience (albeit more in the music than the film world) is that a lot of people/companies hate getting unsolicited emails with attachments............

Very true.
I once had my mailbox completely filled, because some voice-over I never met in my life thought it was convenient to send multiple emails with large attachments with audiofiles.
Not only is it illegal in the Netherlands to send unsollicited emails with the purpose to sell something, it is annoying when you get all these files you never asked for.
Sending files can streamline things, just make sure to keep it 'small'.

There has to be a balance between streamlining and convenience.

Back