• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Cinematography Projects

First vid:
- Profile (side) 2 shots (rocks throwing on the beach, shot of two guys in the car) crossing the line or could open up a bit to give the person in the background a slightly larger piece of the frame to let us see them.
- Camera motion is quite handheld… which works in a couple of the shots, but most of them should have been locked down… camera wobble in the stairs to the subway -- even though it was on a tripod.

Second Vid:
- Dark scenes were very grainy… when the lighter struck I figured out why… you were using auto exposure. which worked surprisingly well in the lighter moment… but all of the rest of the dark shots were really high ISO (grainy) as a result.
- Colored light in the those shots was cool though, what was that from?
- In the extreme closeups, be really careful with your point of focus… anytime the actor moves, you're having to pull focus when the DoF is that shallow. Keep those eyes sharp, even sacrificing a couple of inches of DoF by closing the aperture slightly would help with that.
- shot of guy sitting with the crowd passing in front had really good depth to the shot in that moment.

colors are quite good and you seem to have an understanding of using light as a compositional elements.

Overall, I like the cinematography in the first one better, but the second one had a story and was ultimately more watchable.

Hi Simona!
I am going to be harsh,so sorry in advance.

Shaky camera is best to be avoided. Car shoots are overlit and overexposed. Shooting extreme close ups of bad skin without make up is rarely pleasing. Colour balance is off in several shots,a lot of noise in underexposed images. A lighting trick with the lighter is mediocre at best. A lot of shots are just average shots that you can get when you walk around town with a camera.

I understand that this is first camera tests and it is unrealistic to expect fantastic results straight away. I would suggest reading cinematography books,playing with camera in order to grasp the basic principles of exposure,white balance,framing etc. progressing to lighting techniques and eventual telling a story through camerawork. Good luck!

Back