• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Choosing the right gear (lav mics)

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to come on here and get some advice.

I've been asked to source out some gear for a company I'm working for. They mostly shoot interviews and green screen stuff with a high emphasis on video courses/ education material.

They're looking for a full frame DSLR, zoom lens, lav mic kit, sd cards and a camera bag as close as possible to a $3,000 budget.

Immediately I think of the Canon 6D for the camera since everyone here [at work] seems to be familiar with the Canon workflow and they previously had a t3i which they shot most of their stuff on. So I think they're pretty set in stone on the 6D with the 24-105 L series kit lens...

They have a Zoom h4n and are wanting lav mics though and I have only ever used Sennheiser and recommend the G3 kit but basically I'm here to ask what are your favorite lav mics?

Which are the best lav mics to buy within that budget? Obviously you can find some pretty cheap brands out there, we're not willing to lose quality though, looking to stay as close as possible to Sennheiser quality sound but if we can get a mic kit cheaper with the same quality we would be very open to that as well.

Ideally they want to stick as close to a $3,000 budget for everything if possible.

Thanks in advanced for the help, any information would be appreciated.

Cheers.

The professional caliber lavs are more of a situational and/or personal preference choice; there is no "better" here.

The CountryMan B6 and B3 are very popular, and very tiny - easy to hide. The Sanken COS-11 is also quite popular, as is the Tram TR-50. OscarSoundTech also make some nice "budget" lavs that are gaining in popularity.

The G3 is available with either the ME2 (omni) or ME4(Cardioid). Most will replace those with a better lav although I have used the ME2 with great success. I have added Tram TR50 lavs to the kit as well as a handful of Oscar Sound tech 802 lavs.

It's important to separate the wireless system from the mic selection. In fact, you may not even need wireless at all.

Thanks for the reply. Nice selections. I am considering a Sennheiser g3 mic and receiver kit, thoughts on how it compares?

The G3 is available with either the ME2 (omni) or ME4(Cardioid). Most will replace those with a better lav although I have used the ME2 with great success. I have added Tram TR50 lavs to the kit as well as a handful of Oscar Sound tech 802 lavs.

It's important to separate the wireless system from the mic selection. In fact, you may not even need wireless at all.

thnx man i am gonna look into the options, i dont think we need wireless really plus the people here are gunshy about dropping $600 plus on a wireless system, i also hav been looking into these audio technica wired mics that are featured on b&h which seem to give some really nice sound.

right now theyre using a wireless guitar receiver and modded it by adding a mic in, gives off pretty good soun u just have to adjust the gain on the receiver and not the h4. its not 2 bad tho all things considered

My friend gave me his Azden 330UPR but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I ordered a tascam dr100 and it comes in the mail tomorrow.

The lavs are black and like the tip of a pinky, not sure how I am supposed to hide something like this.

Back