Choose Best Camera for Independent Filmmaking in 2012

Your site says "Choose your favorite camera (hdslr) for independent film production." but some of these aren't even HDSLRs, specifically the Sony PMW-F3, Sony FS100, and the Panasonic AG-AF101.

Your site says "Choose your favorite camera (hdslr) for independent film production." but some of these aren't even HDSLRs, specifically the Sony PMW-F3, Sony FS100, and the Panasonic AG-AF101.

I don't see any mention or specification of DSLR.

I voted, but I have to admit that my vote was based purely on which camera makes me drool the most. I've never worked with the vast majority of those cameras. I voted CS300.

I voted for the Sony F3, through I'm an obnoxious GH2 fanboy.
I've never even held an F3, but I've dreamt of it.

The new Nikon D4 promises much, it's the only large sensor camera that does 4:2:2 color that price point ($6,000).

Yes, DeJager, you are right, they are not all dslr. I change my mind and put additional not dslr cameras into poll. You can vote more than one camera.

I personally choose

GH2 because of price
5d MKII because of standard
Nikon D4 because of NIkon :)

I don't want to be a whiner, but I really hate polls like this because they don't take cost into account. Heck, why doesn't the list have a IMAX camera on it. I think they start at $200,000 with no lenses, but if I want the best image I'd go for IMAX any day of the week.

Each job is different, with different budgets, so there is no best camera for indie filmmakers. There is the best camera you can afford for the job.

Scott

I voted for the Sony F3, through I'm an obnoxious GH2 fanboy.
I've never even held an F3, but I've dreamt of it.

The new Nikon D4 promises much, it's the only large sensor camera that does 4:2:2 color that price point ($6,000).

F3 is Blah. But kinda into it for lowlight. Not too heavy, not too light either, build it out and it's as big as a RED MX, but less quality? Just had one in my hands actually... was randomly shooting with it out of boredom. S-Log is pretty.

D4 looks sweet, we have one on order. Not sure if we're gonna cancel or not before we have to pay for it. If we keep it I'll hook up the Samurai and Ki Pro (gemini if it FINALLY comes in) and see what the image looks like. Not expecting gold, but eh. Full Frame = sweet.

C300 is what I'm waiting to get my hands on. Hoping the US betas start going out, will try to get one early to shoot with.

Definitely a GH2 fan (but you know that. xP) Had an FS100 a few weeks before launch, it was fun to play with and an interesting design but I can't stand the way the highlights go so fast, and the mushy image at high dB of gain. Just not a fan of it...

AF100... nothing needs to be said beyond it pisses me off royally. Love how light it is, built in NDs so on and so forth but the GH2 murders (w/hack) in image quality land. Selling three, anyone interested? :D

TheShop.JPG

F3, FS100, AF100 -- playin'.

Last edited:
You forgot the T3i and T2i. Ha.... Those probably are the more likely popular economical cameras that are not on the list.

I think the new cannon C300 looks nice. I like the idea of the Scarlet too. Never used them and probably will rent them or buy something else since they will be out of my price rage. My guess my next camera will be a T3i or a GH2.

Yeah the problem is that if I have $1,000 to spend, a Canon or Panasonic DSLR might be the best camera for an indie filmmaker. If I have $6,000, well I might try the AF100 or FS100. If I have $20,000 then the Scarlet, F3 or C300 would be my choice. For us indies price matters at least as much as any other factor. I feel like the only way this works is if you have price brackets and let us choose that way...

Canon rep brought a C300 out to some friends who were about to purchase some F3's and left it for a few days. After shooting with it last weekend and barely getting through some of the features and menus, they're sold. I sadly wasn't able to tag along, but from everyone's reaction and their opinion it's pretty incredible.

They're guys who have been shooting video since the 70's and never really fell in love with the DSLRs the way most people did. Of course they liked the look, and even with some pretty sweet DSLR rigs that they used frequently they always had major complaints like anyone else. Their response to the c300 was "it's so easy".

In fact, their only really negative thing to say was that it had a hybrid timecode in/out connector instead of separate ins and outs, making it harder to sync more than two devices on set. That's about it.

Of course, the test videos and feature reviews have covered most of the pluses so far. It really is a great camera.

Back