Cheap indoor sound setup

Hi guys,

I'm new to making short films and I have been reading around the subject a little. I have a decent camera, but no means of recording audio at the mo, and I have heard that poor audio is one of the biggest reasons why some short films feel amateurish. Therefore, I would like to invest in a mic and some kind of recording device. I only have around £100 - I really don't want to make too much of a heavy investment just yet, especially as I may need to buy some other stuff too for my first short (+ I am a poor student).

My short will be shot all indoors and I have heard that shotgun mics are not the best for this purpose. Apparently "hypercardioid" mics are good for indoors, but nearly every one like this that I have found has been upwards of £400. The only thing I have found cheapish is something called the "AKG C1000S", which does have a hypercardioid function/adapter/thingy inside it, but I have read it is mainly used for recording musical instruments. Does anyone know a good mic I should buy that is in my price range that will do the job?

Also, I will need something to record with. I have found a mixer called the "Behringer 302USB" which plugs directly into a laptop and has a phantom powered XLR imput. Will I get better quality recording like this or by using a separate recording device?

With your budget Id recommend using a Lav placed directly on the talent with the lav mic plugged into a digital recorder. Olympus VN8100PC recorder and Olympus ME-15 Mic

You can get decent sound for two people if they are close and the other person speaking is talking clear and directed straight towards the mic.
You would have to use something to cover the mic so clothing noise would not be picked up. I use moleskin or bandages with strong adhesive and some cotton balls to pad the mic....GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the response. I did consider using a lav mic at first, but I got a bit put off when I read clothing noise can easily be picked up. I think I may reconsider now given that I can't really find much of an alternative.

Alcove Audio: it's interesting you saying look for an up-and-coming sound person as I have a friend who is into that sort of thing. He might be interested in helping out and I'm sure he has some pretty good equipment knocking around, although it may be more studio oriented.

As for rental, I don't know about in the US but in England the deposits are huge if you want to rent anything worth using and I just haven't got the funds.

Back