• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cheap editing programs?

Hey, just wondering if there are any cheap or even better free programs for editing.

I need to be able to add in the audio from my digital recorder, cut and paste clips with transitions etc..

And it has to compatible with a Mac g4 ibook.

I know its a lot but can anyone pass on some knowledge? Thanks.

Free?

Windows Movie Maker

Cheap?

Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Adobe Premiere Elements, Imovie (for Macs)

Professional

Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut (MacP, and AVID.

Note: You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Can't beat FREE.
http://videopad-video-editor.en.softonic.com/

It's real basic nuts and bolts.

Add your clips to the "tabletop".
Clip your clips, save.
Add the clipped clips to your working piece.
Make crossfades, adjust their times.
Add text using your computer's font library.
Adjust text position, size, color. No text fading in and out, though.
Letterbox, zoom, pan, crop.
Monkey with brightness and contrast.
And of course it has those almost never used B&W, sepia and I think color invert options.
De-link audio from video.
Adjust audio levels.
Drop in multiple audio layers, (Most I've done is six layers deep. just basic stuff).
There are supposed to be some third party features extension plug-ins but I can't seem to get 'em to work.
Save working file. Save movie file to DVD or computer. (Same system as Celtx files).
Save at different resolutions.
.wmv files upload to youtube just fine. (That's what I did the A N T S thing with).

Basic.
Simple.

No fancy wipes and stuff.
I wish it did layering. That would SO ROCK!

I just saw in the Sunday paper that Best Buy was selling Photoshop Elements and Adobe Premiere Elements for somewhere around $100 if you bought both. I didn't do much research into the product, but it sounded good to me.

-- spinner :cool:

Thanks guys. Mike, you're right you do get what you pay for, but unfortunately I have to take what I can afford and thats basically whats free. I have Imovie but it takes for ever loading the test clips I had so I don't think it'll speed up with more clips. I think I might try to spring for vegas, hows teh user interface on that? Can it sync audio with the video?

Thanks spinner, I think for right now i'm gonna have to stick with something even cheaper though.

Ray, I can sync audio with it right? Also I was looking that up and peopel say its only trial is this true? Have you had to pay for it yet?

Ray, I can sync audio with it right? Also I was looking that up and peopel say its only trial is this true? Have you had to pay for it yet?
Yeah, audio synch is relatively simple.
Just drag your audio to a new layer and adjust it left or right till your rubber-lips are better.
No biggie.

Um... I've had my "Trial" download for well over a year, occasionally I get requests to upgrade to the full featured version, which I don't really need just yet, so... no. I haven't paid for diddly.

If politicians, preachers and LasVegas cat houses can hand out stuff on the street I don't see why software companies can't either.
They're handing out freebies, so I'm takin' 'em.

Gopherit.

9/10 of what any of us need is just meat and potatoes cut-&-splice.
Connect B to A, connect C to B, etc.
Done.
Video Pad is fine for that.

You may also be interested in this: http://free-audio-editor.com/download/index.htm
You can record whatever's playing on your computer, edit, alter and save it, import into VideoPad as a .wav file and you're good to go.

GL

I have Imovie but it takes for ever loading the test clips I had so I don't think it'll speed up with more clips.
Could this have something to do with the speed and power of
your G4 iBook? I use iMovie every once in a while. It runs much
slower on my G4 PowerBook than it does on my faster, newer
iMac.

I wonder if Vegas will still be slow on that older machine...

Could this have something to do with the speed and power of
your G4 iBook? I use iMovie every once in a while. It runs much
slower on my G4 PowerBook than it does on my faster, newer
iMac.

I wonder if Vegas will still be slow on that older machine...

I was beginning to think I was just unlucky, but now I believe its just the slow OS that makes it forever to upload a clip. Can we upgrade these G4s?

Back