• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Character Bios

How long do you like to make a characters biography? I'm starting on a slasher screenplay and I was wondering how detailed do other writers get on their character bios for horror scripts like this one.

I don't do 'em.

I gotta channel the right "character" for each of multiple characters before the writing gets rock and rolling.
And once that rock gets rolling I start improvising bios because... I know darn good and well the first second third drafts are gonna just be rewritten anyway, so what's the point of putzin' around with a full bio beforehand?

Find the right initial persona then let it off the chain. Just follow where it goes.
Some moderate sleep deprivation helps, too. ;)

GL!

I don't typically do it, but on the odd occassion that I do anything like that, I write 1-2 lines and that's it. You might think about why a person is the way they are, but if it's not too relevant to the script, why bother spending too much time on it? You may find yourself constrained by you character bios, which lead you in a direction you don't really want to go.

But, of course, there's no right or wrong, so figure out what works best for you.

so the story should determine the characters not the other way around?

I think both, and it depends.

It's a question of style really I think. Some people do better if they have a character and put them in a story, some do better crafting a character out of a story.

Personally, if it's for a one-shot thing, I let the character evolve. I'm also working on a longer webseries, and there we have fairly detailed bio's about the main characters, which helps us a) create stories that leverage that and b) ensure a more consistent character as we can refer back to it if a reaction is uncertain.

CraigL

I may have misunderstood the question. I was referring to writing out a back story for each of my main characters before I start writing the screenplay. My thinking is that the better I know and understand my characters the more real they will be. I find myself thinking as the character while I'm writing so I speak in their voice and they come across more genuine and relate-able.

I may have misunderstood the question. I was referring to writing out a back story for each of my main characters before I start writing the screenplay. My thinking is that the better I know and understand my characters the more real they will be. I find myself thinking as the character while I'm writing so I speak in their voice and they come across more genuine and relate-able.

+ 1

That's what I do. You need to really know your characters in order to know how they will act in a given situation, how they talk etc.

FYI most pro writers do the same. Michael Mann even goes as far as to have very verbose character descriptions within his scripts, eg in Heat Robert De Niro's character is described as:

NEIL McCAULEY and a nurse get off. Neil carries a paper bag and wears white pants like a hospital attendant. Neil is an ice-cold professional: very big, very tough. At 42 his short black hair is graying. He spent eight years in McNeil and three in San Quentin. He got out and hit the street in 1987. Four of the McNeil years were spent in the hole. Neil's voice is street, but his language is precise like an engineer's. He's very careful and very good. Neil runs a professional crew that pulls down high line, high number scores and does it anyway the score has to be taken down: if on the prowl (a burglary), that's fine; if they have to go in strong (armed), that's fine too. And if you get in their way, that's got to be your problem. His lifestyle is obsessively functional. There's no steady woman or any encumbrance. Neil McCauley keeps it so there's nothing he couldn't walk from in 30 seconds flat.

A non-pro should not include such verbose detail in a character description within a spec screenplay but understanding your characters to this depth is very helpful.

The link I included earlier delves deeper into this topic if you're interested.

http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/character-intros.php

Last edited:

That is what I meant. How detailed do people get when writing their characters biographies. Do they write out pages or just a small paragraph. Especially if someone has written a slasher film like I'm trying to do. I'm trying to make my slasher different than the usual one where every teenager is stupid and is just there to get killed.

I'd say if you're going to try out a character bio, just go for it. DOn't worry about length. Also, you can take an approach of answering certain questions about your character. What are his/her major ideas on major issues, on his/her own life? What major life events brought them to this line of thinking?

By the way, I think it's awesome that you are doing this for a slasher film. I am big fan of horror and the relatable characters really make the best movies. It's so much scarier/exciting to go through the dangerous series of events with a character you can actually care about. Just remember, if your protagonist is really going to be a fighter or a smart person trying to survive then your killer has to also be even more threatening and even more crafty than the average killer we see in film so we can appreciate just how special the main character is. Good luck!

I'd say if you're going to try out a character bio, just go for it. DOn't worry about length. Also, you can take an approach of answering certain questions about your character. What are his/her major ideas on major issues, on his/her own life? What major life events brought them to this line of thinking?

By the way, I think it's awesome that you are doing this for a slasher film. I am big fan of horror and the relatable characters really make the best movies. It's so much scarier/exciting to go through the dangerous series of events with a character you can actually care about. Just remember, if your protagonist is really going to be a fighter or a smart person trying to survive then your killer has to also be even more threatening and even more crafty than the average killer we see in film so we can appreciate just how special the main character is. Good luck!

Thanks. I am trying to do something different so it's not just another slasher movie where characters are just there to die.

The more important the character, and therefore his/her motivations, the more in depth of a back story I create. If a character only has minimal interaction and dialog, I write a fairly concise bio with just the information that I need to carry that character through the film. If it's any of the main characters, especially the protagonist or antagonist, there will be a bio that delves into their childhood and all of the events that formed their psyche. You could always make your killer the protagonist in your story. He/she (she would be different) could be developmentally disabled and lashes out against the "normals" that are trying to harm her/her family. In this example you can have a sympathetic psychopath (like Dexter).

For me, it depends on the motivation of the story. If the focus of the slasher flick is the slasher, I need to develop a bit more backstory to understand what drives that behavior. If the focus is on the victims, I might give thought to what makes them survive or die. Let's be honest, slasher flicks are not quality drama. Don't go overboard analyzing your characters. A paragraph will do.

I study people, including writers. Writers tend to fall in two general groups--planners and evolvers. Planners know the structure from start to finish of their story. Evolvers generally let their story develop as they write it. Planners tend to be visual and verbal screenwriters--great with big pictures, describing scenes and dialogue, and creating compelling storylines. Evolvers tend to be action and emotion screenwriters--great with action sequences, getting inside characters heads, and imagining riveting drama. I'm a planner and I frequently work with evolvers. Neither style is better. Planners are often able to put out scripts more quickly and systematically. Evolvers put out fewer but often powerful, touching scripts. Most major films use a team of writers (some uncredited) that use a combination of these two approaches.

Evolvers seldom plan their characters. They let them evolve along with the story from very broad brushstrokes. Planners often sketch out their characters--strengths, weaknesses, quirks, etc. I've kind of adopted an intermediate style over time. I will imagine the character and give them some specific identity but allow them some flexibility as we go through the script to develop unplanned skills or traits. I've learned to open up so the character can independently reveal something to me that I hadn't planned. I mention all of this because depending on your approach, one or the other may feel more natural. There is no right or better way.

With TV it's a slightly different story. There I will develop a rich background for the character that I put into the series bible. Characters will reappear and grow. Others will need to write for these characters, so the writers need to have a sense who they are. When writing for an episodic series--webseries, television, etc.--be sure to work through your character. If you're using CeltX, it has a template for your character in the Master Catalog that helps you develop some of that detail.

Back