Catfish

Here's what I know (not having actually seen it):

1) Pre-release advertising blitz was very wide. Advertising (all Flash) made a big point of how it was important to "keep the ending a secret". Gave me flashbacks to when I was a wee lad, seeing Mouse Trap on stage in London.

2) Totally had the flair of Blair Witch, way back then. The film that could only be seen once... but it would be huge.

3) An entry for the film, at Wikipedia, also includes the spoiler ending of it.

4) Multiple newspapers (including NYTimes) have articles & editorials about how difficult it is, to keep a secret these days. All make allusions to Mouse Trap & lol's are had by all.

5) err... movie gets released or something? No idea, tbh. Advertising blitz long over, and it's not playing at local cinema.

6) Totally forgotten about it, 'til this thread started. Still couldn't tell you what it's about, or who's in it. None of my friends have heard of it.

That's all I know.

I have seen it. I liked it quite a bit.

The only thing is
Do not trust the trailer, it is not. I repeat it is not a scary movie, nor a thriller.

Apart from that, going in without high expectations I enjoyed watching things like that unravel. I have seen other movies on this sort of thing, I actually do not know if this was a real documentary or not. (If someone could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated)

I will say however, I have seen a real documentary, that if this sort of thing catches your eye, you should definitely watch it's called " Talhotblonde ". And it is really quite mind bogglingly amazing and disturbing at the same time. I really recommend it to anyone who is interested in the sort of "Catfish" story.

i heard abt this a while back but like zen id forgotten about it till i saw this thread.
im interested in it again now. ill let u know if i watch it.

I'm curious to see it, for sure. I read a couple reviews about it, and learned enough to know that the trailer is VERY misleading.

Kenpaffu, I actually don't think it necessary to hide your spoiler, because you haven't revealed any plot details, or twists in the story. All you've done is highlight the non-twist that doesn't exist, that the trailer so falsely implies. In my opinion, people should be aware of the fact that...

This is not a scary movie, or a thriller. It's not even going for that. As far as I can tell, based on the reviews I've read, it's a real documentary about a dude who developes an infatuous online relationship, and decides to seek this person out in real life.

For me, that sounds interesting enough, and I don't need some fake thriller subplot artificially implanted by the marketing department. I plan to watch it.

Well this has all got me super intrigued and, with some additional research, I now have to see this movie...

Does anyone know how/when UK folks will be able to see it?

Wow. That movie looks really good and professionally made. I love those documentary-types.

Is it the Blairwitch Project on Facebook?

Well,

Don't read "boxofficemagazine.com"s review because the 1-line excerpt of their review just spoiled the whole thing for me... Now I know the ending.

That's lame. Now I don't want to see it anymore.

Wow - enthusiasm from 100 to 0 in 2 seconds - that's amazing.

Wow - I'm enthralled with this story! I watched the 20/20 special - DON'T WATCH IT IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE - IT HAS SPOILERS.

But, it's awesome, shocking and horrifyingly real and very pertinent to today's Facebook and Internet age.

This makes me want to see it now :)

I'm re-enthused.

Last edited:
Ethically, I have no problem with it.

Computerly, I don't wish it to die the same death as my last one.

No worries, in one weeks time I will have seen the movie. That is my solemn vow.

lol well,

to start up a discussion on what I think (I've only seen the 20-20 special) here is what I think happened:

I think that the 3 guys were just fishing for something like this to happen, documented it, recorded more things to augment the story, then did the whole reveal at the end. But it's pretty wild how complex the lady got with her whole family and the whole number of people she created.

Oh and I just thought of this one, too: If the girl kept taking web-cam photos of herself, why didn't they ever SKYPE talk? I would have totally SKYPED her... That's the first red flag...

I think when you fall in love, you're willing to accept things as they seem rather than how they are, but it is amazing to me that they didn't figure it out sooner (or at least they claim they didn't).

But I think the issue is...what's the big deal? Are we really surprised that a person is capable of creating this imaginary family?

Good point. I think people eat it up because it's intriguing and "something that can happen to me". Plus, I think what that lady did was sick and should be reprimanded and not rewarded.

Back