Casting for first short

So I am going to have to start casting for my first short. I don't really know how I should go about this because it is my first short, I am in high school, and my friends are not an option. I would use my friends but I am needing a middle age women and a bunch of really young kids. For those wondering why I need a lot of little kids its because my film revolves around a group of 5th graders. So how do you think I should go about looking for kids to help? I don't want to be too picky acting wise because they are so young. Should I even try using young kids because they are so young and probably can't act very well? I also need to ask a teacher to be in it and I don't really know how to go about asking them. I know a couple of teachers at the elementary school so that shouldn't be a huge problem but I don't really know how to ask. The other problem with little kids is that there really isn't a way to contact them unless it's through their parents. Any help or suggestions would be great

you're going to need permission from the parents of all of those kids. a signed form. and honestly this sounds too complicated for a first project, that's a lot to organize. a whole group of kids..

maybe you should start off with something simpler to get your bearings straight

What Foster said is your best choice. The three things you should avoid as a beginner (or for the most part for that matter) is liquids, kids, and dogs. They almost always end in disaster. I recommend you either write the kids out of the story or come up with something simpler.

Although if you insist (which would be absurd), you could find some kids in SAG. Although however you get kids in your production, they will raise production costs and complicate the process.

Yeah I guess when I picked this one I wasn't thinking about the kids complication. I'll save the idea. But my other one has a lot of action. Do you think that would be okay to do?

Yeah I guess when I picked this one I wasn't thinking about the kids complication. I'll save the idea. But my other one has a lot of action. Do you think that would be okay to do?

It depends on if you have the money, resources, and connections to pull off those action sequences. Are those action scenes in public locations? Do you have the scenes planned out? Think ahead.

But yes, the action flick would be better than the film with kids, IMO.

As your first short, make it about two people, in one room, about 2 minutes long. It will suck but you ll get basic idea of pre production, lighting, shot composition and post.

As your first short, make it about two people, in one room, about 2 minutes long. It will suck but you ll get basic idea of pre production, lighting, shot composition and post.
+ 1

Great advice. 2-6 mins would be fine in my opinion though.

Teachers, kids etc. You have all kinds of liability and insurance issues etc. For your first short, keep it simple!

Last edited:
Back