• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can't choose how to light a dark comedy

I'm planning to shoot a short film this summer. It's genre is close to Dark Comedy. It's about an unconfident teen with unrequited love, who goes to his psychologist and finds her on the ledge, trying to commit a suicide. Now he becomes the "Psychologist of a Psychologist" to talk her out of that. At the end we learn, that all the suicide thing is just a trick the psychologist does to all her patients - she makes a few appointments with them, and when she completely learns their problems, she makes up similar problems and pretends she wants to commit a suicide. The patients help her deal with her "problems", that are similar to theirs, and therefore help themselves by helping her.

It's not a very serious tone, but also not an actual comedy. I have an issue of choosing a lighting style for this type of films:

1) - I can use a cold colors lighting, with less differences, which makes it dark and serious.
2) - I can use high contrasts, many differences, like in Donnie Darko or K-Pax, which makes it look like psychology themed movies, with some mystery.
3) - I can use Woody Allen style, which makes the lighting very bright and simple, without high contrasts.

I'd love to hear your suggestions, which one do you think will work for you, or maybe you can offer something else.

Back