• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Canon XM2

Ok, i bought a brand new Canon XM2 today!
And it looks so much more professional than what i used previously. However i was wondering what is the best external mike to use for the best audio quality?

Last edited:
Ok, i bought a brand new Canon XM2 today!
And it looks so much more professional than what i used previously. However i was wondering what is the best external mike to use for the best audio quality?

That depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend.

First of all I would buy a XLR adapter so you can use professional mikes -> Canon Adapter MA300. A simple cable adapter is not recommended for longer cables.

Then you could buy this kit with the Sennheiser ME66 + K6 + boompole + softie + shock mount.

If you have a higher budget, then I can recommend the Sennheiser MKH-416 Kit which has an even better and more natural sound than the ME66.

Vielen dank Freezer, und es ist ein bisschen teuer.

Vielleicht der Sennheiser ME66 ist in mein kosternplan. Ist der DM50 mikrofon ein gut?

Last edited:
Ich habe www.videokit.co.uk finden.

Der ME66 ist ganz billig heir.

I don't think so ;)

Because you need the ME66 plus the K6 capsule. That makes £ 344.00 together. The K6-ME66 Kit would be the way to go for £ 349.00.
Anyway you need also the XLR adapter + cables. And a good windshield.

And you will have to buy a boompole for sure, which means you also need a shock mount. Those two are the items were you can save money, trading for quality.

I know its pricey but it is well worth the money because good sound is very important.
I do not recommend going the cheap road, better wait 2 months and save some more money to spend then.

Thank you all for responding.

I suppose i shall have to write out my shopping list and dig into my savings.

Produktion on the Richard Head movie is beckoning...

take some time to play with the image settings in that thing before you go to shoot...fill a couple of tapes just messing around with it to figure out how it dials in happy :)

Ok, i am just familarising myself with using an external audio mic, so please correct me if i am wrong...

Canon adapter MA300, obviously you can only buy it from a Canon supplier?

Sennheiser ME66, there are a few selling on ebay, but is it wise buying a second hand mic? How quickly do external mics wear out?

K6, powers the mic and contains the battery.

Boompole, for remote positioning of the mic.

Softie, used in windy conditions.

Shock mount, holds the mic/softie on the end of a boompole.

XLR adapter, essential for connecting the mic to a Canon XM2.

Canon adapter MA300, obviously you can only buy it from a Canon supplier?

Any shop should be able to order the XLR-adapter. Otherwise you can also go with the Beachtek.

Sennheiser ME66, there are a few selling on ebay, but is it wise buying a second hand mic? How quickly do external mics wear out?

mics - if treated properly - can work for a decade and longer. I guess most of the mics sold at ebay are ok, their seller just might have upgraded to a better one.

K6, powers the mic and contains the battery.
Correct. It even can hold some other Sennheiser mics, if you want. It is able to send phantom power by batterie or by an external source.

Boompole, for remote positioning of the mic.
Correct. The lighter the boompole, the better for the boom operator - even a few 100 gramms can count after some minutes.

Softie, used in windy conditions.
There exist several different softies, depending on the strenght of the wind. We worked ok with the pro version from Sennheiser, those hairy things are even better under very windy conditions.

Shock mount, holds the mic/softie on the end of a boompole.
Correct.

XLR adapter, essential for connecting the mic to a Canon XM2.
You can buy the Canon MA300 or go for the Beachtek version. They all should work ok.

an XLR cable is a balanced (generally 3 wire) cable with large, round plugs that have 3 prongs (male) or 3 holes (female), arranged in a triangle. I don't have any handy images, but there are many on the internet.

Radio Shack sells XLR cables. Anyone who sells professional audio gear or musical intruments would carry XLR cables. They are the industry standard for balanced audio equipment.

Has anyone tried SignVideo's XLR adaptor? ( http://www.signvideo.com/ ). I have a zoom controller from them, and it is a solid performer. Their prices are better than Beachtek.

BTW: You want balanced equipment because it is far better at discriminating against the electrical noise that is picked up by the wire. The longer your wires, the more you need it. Actually, non-balanced equipment cannot discriminate against noise. It simply relies on shielding to minimize it, and shielding is never enough.

Back