Canon XA10 vs Canon HF S21

I made a topic a little while back asking if the HFS21 was a good choice. It seemed like it was, though now upgraded versions of those cameras have come out.

I was looking at the specs of different cameras and came down to the two in the topic title. I just need someone to do a comparison of the two and how each one is better or worse in the other, regarding different areas.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/camcorders/hd_video_cameras/xa10#Specifications

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/profe...nition_camcorders/vixia_hf_s21#Specifications

There are a few things I don't get. Though the camera in the first link costs significantly more, it seems to have 2.37 megapixels while second one has 6.1. Also, the image sensor for the first one is 1/3 while the second one is 1/2.6. The focal length of the first is smaller than the second. The first one has some positives the latter doesn't but what makes the first so superior and expensive?! Can someone please explain all the differences please??

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Last edited:
I made a topic a little while back asking if the HFS21 was a good choice. It seemed like it was, though now upgraded versions of those cameras have come out.

I was looking at the specs of different cameras and came down to the two in the topic title. I just need someone to do a comparison of the two and how each one is better or worse in the other, regarding different areas.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/camcorders/hd_video_cameras/xa10#Specifications

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/profe...nition_camcorders/vixia_hf_s21#Specifications

There are a few things I don't get. Though the camera in the first link costs significantly more, it seems to have 2.37 megapixels while second one has 6.1. Also, the image sensor for the first one is 1/3 while the second one is 1/2.6. The focal length of the first is smaller than the second. The first one has some positives the latter doesn't but what makes the first so superior and expensive?! Can someone please explain all the differences please??

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

The XA10 is a prosumer camera. Being a prosumer camera, it is a little heavier, has a handle, comes with a nicer lens and has XLR inputs (vs the HFS21's 3.5mm mic jack). I've seen people on this forum say that they'd buy a much more expensive camera just because of its weight -- tiny and light camcorders are absolutely terrible handheld. The HFS21 can probably perform a little better in lowlight settings, but I'd say the image itself won't differ a lot. What you're paying for is XLR inputs and a professional looking camera. Try bringing the HFS21 to a wedding shoot without first showing them any footage, and you'll get laughed at.

Edit: and another small thing (that might matter to a few people). The HFS21 has a mini accessory shoe, which is pretty much incompatible with everything but canon products. You can get a mini to cold adapter if that bothers you though.

Last edited:
seems like a marketing gimmick with the hfs21's megapixels. It's saying that that little thing shoots 3k. keep in mind 1080p is near 2k....I have the hfs10 and they're almost the same. most likely if you're looking for an easy startup then the xa10 should be the pick due to the xlr inputs.

You should get more mileage off of the XA10 since it's switches, controls and the like will be made for more demanding use. I'd expect the XA10 to be easier to adjust settings being a Prosumer model as well. You would still prolly want to have an external recorder anyhoo. Why risk someone kicking a sound cable and knocking your cam over ?

HOWEVER I'd say for sure, you should get some great images w/ either cam.

I have my money saved for the Canon XA10, and the thing I love about it is the XLR inputs. The camera seems to have alot for something in the $2000 range. At first I wanted the Panasonic HMC400 but after I saw the XA10... well I kinda fell in love. Haha I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it right away or wait until some decent test footage comes out, but it looks like an amazing prosumer camera.

It really depends on what you are using the camera for, providing the Canon XA10 meets my expectations, I think it'll be great for Indie Filmmakers!

Last edited:
Back