Canon XA-10 vs Sony VG-10

Both are roughly the same price, but each has it's positives and negatives. I'm curious if anyone has used either one, and which one the masses on here would prefer? Does the benefit of interchanging lens on the "hybrid" VG-10 beat the XLR inputs for the XA-10? I've heard good things about the XA-10 in low light, but hardly anything about the VG-10. What are your thoughts?

I've used an XA10; was an inch from buying it.

Pros:
sharp image quality
full manual control
xlr inputs
compact (detachable handle)

cons:
some jello effect
small 1/3" chip; no shallow dof for film work
shots take practice to steady since its so damn small
viewfinder doesn't tilt

its actually a great cam for documentary, live event, corporate videos, etc. Not so much for narrative film work, at least as an A cam

VG10 pros: (i have not used this camera but have researched it a little)

interchangeable lens
large chip; shallow dof for film work
nice viewfinder

cons:
lacks in manual controls
menu sucks (or so i've heard)
only 1080i; no 24p
no audio controls

The Nex-VG20, the next gen to the VG10 is supposed to be announced.......tommorow! I'd wait to see how that shapes up.

Thanks that1guyy!

Has anyone else here ever used the Sony VG-10?

I have one. It's fine for what I want and my choice at the time was a 7D, 5D or the little Sony which is a great little movie camera. There is a little aliasing, moire etc... in situations where there is no control but it's manageable if you know how to cope with it.

Good quality shooting (for what I want). It shoots in 30p but I move everything to 24p in post. 30p allows me to move this to 25p, 24p or keep in 30p if I want.

The viewfinder is what I generally shoot through and it is a handy tool.

The menu's a little fiddly but it's fine for me. It means you can't really make adjustments during a shot.

The stabiliser's surprisingly good - will smooth out the occasional clutzy, shaky little shot although of course it is not a run and gun camera without something like a Steadicam in my opinion.

The omni mic is OK as a backup device in case the sound recordist gets hit by lightning on the way in. This is extremely useful for a little no budget production where there is a genuine risk of this.

One tremendous advantage is the autofocus which is great for those Steadicam Merlin shots or those fiddly shots when I'm moving the tripod trying to get it to replicate a dolly shot.

I'm happy with the quality of shots.

I've used an XA10; was an inch from buying it.

Forgot to ask, what made you not buy it, and what did you buy instead?

The Nex-VG20, the next gen to the VG10 is supposed to be announced.......tommorow! I'd wait to see how that shapes up.

Thanks for reminding me!

In fact, the NEX-VG20 enjoys the benefits of a number of advancements over its direct predecessor, the VG10. It can now shoot HD (1920 x 1080) video in AVCHD at both 24p and 60p framerates (the VG10 could only shoot 30p), plus its stills see a resolution boost up to 16.1 megapixels. Also, the VG10 could only take stills in JPEG format, whereas the VG20 can save images in both JPEG and RAW formats. Other improvements include a remote control and the direct copy ability, which allows users to connect and record directly to an external hard drive.
As for high quality sound, Sony has that in spades with the VG20, which sports a quad capsule spatial array stereo microphone. With improved directional pickup, this new microphone supports stereo and 5.1 channel surround sound with audio level control.

And it's going to be basically the same price of the VG-10, so that is a good idea to wait and see how much the VG-10 drops. Then again, since the 20 can now do 24p/60p, I'm not sure if I would even want to spend less for the 10. :)

Back