Canon T3i + Rode VideoMic

Hey Guys,

So I haven't been on the forum for awhile, I've been out shooting some films! I've run into a recurring problem that I'm sure has been addressed a few times, but I'm still confused, maybe someone could help me on this. I use the Rode VideoMic for all my recording (and honestly I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, I've spent a lot of money elsewhere lately). What I've been doing for audio is plugging the Rode into a Zoom H1, and syncing the audio later. Reason being, I can't seem to find a way to plug the VideoMic into the Canon T3i and produce a clear sound without hiss.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to achieve good audio plugging in the Rode? I want to find a way to do this because when I'm filming small tidbits and 3 shows at the same time, it's very tough to get it to all sync up later, it's just a long process I'd love to cut out of my editing.

Thanks for any help!

Sadly, even Magic Lantern can't fix the audio on the T3i: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?260698-CANON-600D-T3i-NEED-HELP-with-Magic-Lantern-AGC

Magic Lantern does work with the 60D, which would give you full manual audio gain control - maybe it's time to upgrade? You can pick up a 60D body for $850 at Amazon.

Otherwise, you may be stuck with dual audio and syncing in post.

Good luck,

Bill

Upgrading isn't an option for me for a long time, I'm actually fairly new to the T3i, and it was a massive upgrade from my last camera anyway.

Thanks anyway guys, I guess I'm stuck syncing in post!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve that process? (Organization, Tools, Plugins, anything that makes that process less of a braindrain?)
I edit with Sony Vegas.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve that process? (Organization, Tools, Plugins, anything that makes that process less of a braindrain?)
I edit with Sony Vegas.

Use a slate :)

Also, not sure if Plural Eyes works on vegas or not, but might be worth having a look at. Either way, a slate is still going to get you synced up better than judging by ear. And yes, syncing up takes a while - I've been the assistant editor on features and had to sync up 70-150 takes/day with no scratch track. You get into somewhat of a rhythm ;).

Fiio E3 Headphone Amp? Heard it works wonders with cleaning up hiss. Use it as a barrier between the mic and the camera.

Question: Does the GH2 have the same hissing problem as the T3i?

I am constantly amazed at how spoiled we've all become. For 60+ years the ONLY way was using a separate audio recording system and syncing in post. And when you use film it is still the only way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve that process?

The first thing is detailed video and audio logs, the second step is paying close attention to the transfers. PluralEyes can partially automate the syncing process, but you have a pilot/guide track from the camera that makes manual syncing A LOT easier.

Fiio E3 Headphone Amp?

The only way to avoid the hiss is to use a separate recorder; the hiss is intrinsic to the camera.

Not that hard to sync in post...easy...just load cam footage w/ cam sound and then drop in Zoom audio and align..delete orig sound and go. easy enough to do in most any NLE including Vegas IMO

Fiio E3 Headphone Amp? Heard it works wonders with cleaning up hiss. Use it as a barrier between the mic and the camera.

Question: Does the GH2 have the same hissing problem as the T3i?

mck - The GH2 does have AGC, but it also has a 4 level mic input level control which helps get rid of a lot of background noise. I get fairly clean sound by turning the mic input level down to 1 (out of 4). The narration in this video is with a VHF wireless mic plugged directly into the camera at mic level 1: https://vimeo.com/36414431

I mention during the video that I thought I might get some hiss, but monitoring the playback, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not audiophile clean, but it's prosumer clean, in my view.

After about 2 minutes into the video, I transition from shooting with the GH2 to a GH1 (like the T3i, the GH1 has AGC with no mic level control). All of a sudden, there's a lot more room noise.

All of that said, with the rollout of the the T4i, the T3i has now been marked down to just $610 at Amazon(!) I have a couple of decent external recorders and don't mind syncing in post. Tempting...

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that hard to sync in post...easy...just load cam footage w/ cam sound and then drop in Zoom audio and align..delete orig sound and go. easy enough to do in most any NLE including Vegas IMO

Just use a slate - I've had to align audio when I've shot concerts and for obvious reasons couldn't use a slate and I can tell you that it takes a lot longer to align correctly than to use a slate. It's super simple as long as you have the proper sound reports, or your file names are labelled as the takes. Just set in points and let the NLE sync. It's easier and much more accurate and quicker.

Yeah, I do use a slate. (Though for the first few filmings we didn't have it, so instead the boom operator was snapping his fingers haha.

I'll check out Plural eyes, it intrigues me, does it actually do a fair job?

PluralEyes isn't perfect. The issue is that it's reliant upon the "guide" track of the camera. PluralEyes is basically analyzes the guide track, then analyzes the other audio and says "this is similar to that, so I'll match it up." So if the guide track is relatively clear the matching is good; if the guide track is poor you can get mismatches. That's why lots of "professional" DSLR users have a decent mic on the camera (i.e. they use a very nice separate audio recording system and a Rode VMP or something similar on the camera).

PluralEyes isn't perfect. The issue is that it's reliant upon the "guide" track of the camera. PluralEyes is basically analyzes the guide track, then analyzes the other audio and says "this is similar to that, so I'll match it up." So if the guide track is relatively clear the matching is good; if the guide track is poor you can get mismatches. That's why lots of "professional" DSLR users have a decent mic on the camera (i.e. they use a very nice separate audio recording system and a Rode VMP or something similar on the camera).

That's a great idea, Alcove. I may use my old Audio Technica shotgun on the camera itself, just to give myself a better audio wave to match up with later from the Rode. It'll be better than the crappy T3i built-in mic at least, so that should make that even easier.

Back