canon hf s10

I was pretty set on getting a canon xh a1, which is apparently very popular, but i decided i dont really have the budget for it. so i've been looking for cheaper cameras that can still do some of the important things the xh a1 can do. I came across the hf s10 when i was reading an article on the cameras used for crank 2. If its good enough for a hollywood movie, i guess its good enough for me.

I was just wondering if any of you out there have this camera or have used it. most of the reviews i've read are on the basis of it being the new family camcorder and not for making a movie.

Footage i have seen is good, but idk about the sound. i can probably say right now that i'm going to add a microphone, whether it be a little one i hook onto the camera, or a boom (which i would have to get an adapter for, there is no xlr input on the cam). It has one CMOS sensor, which produces a pretty good picture. Also it has manual gain, exposure, and focus. Can anyone say if a 35mm adapter will fit this?

I guess i'm just looking for someone to tell me this cam can do what i want it to do, which is to be a great tool to make shorts and indie features with.

here's the specs for anyone who is curious

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cam...-s10/4507-6500_7-33483227.html?tag=mncol;rnav

also if anyone has any other suggestions for a camera in this price range i'd like to hear.

sorry for the long post but thanks for reading it!

If usage for a Hollywood movie is part of your criteria you could
look into a used Sony PD150 (Open Water, Supersize Me, Inland
Empire, Pieces of April) - the Canon XL1 (28 Days Later, Full
Frontal) The Panasonic DVX200 (November, Cloverfield, Baghead)

I’ve used the HF S10 - it produces a nice picture and has manual
controls and you can use a 35mm adaptor with it. It’s really
small, making handling difficult and when hooked up to a monitor
and microphone very challenging to work with.

The reality is the camera itself isn’t what makes a good movie -
or even guarantees a good picture. The skill of the people
involved is what really matters when making shorts and indie
features. You can use most any camera with manual controls and
get an image good enough for shorts and indie features.

i think i'll go with the hfs10. directorik, what did you do as a microphone solution and how did it work out? now that i know the camera itself will work for me, the only thing i'm a little worried about is sound, since it doesnt have an xlr input.

Back