Canon EOS C100

Hi everyone. Not so sure if this is new info or not but I happened to stumble upon this little gem this morning --> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/profe..._cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c100#Overview.

It looks like the Canon Cinema EOS line is trying to open up some space for the Indie videographer and digital cinema. I will never profess to being very technical when it comes to cameras but for those of you on here who are and have a wide understanding of the cameras available out there to Indie videographers, what do you think of this new option?

While the C100 cost (estimated 7,999) about 4K more than the Black Magic Cinema Camera it does appeared to be positioned to challenge it in the particular level of the market. So, if one had the cash, would the C100 be a good bet or even worth considering?

I really like how the market is opening up, and while the advancements have not materialized in fast enough discounts on existing technology (why is the 5D mark II still so expensive??) I feel like what is still pricey for most of us today should be within reach in a year or two. (Perhaps my 5D example was not the best as it still appeals to a larger market than just Indie videographers and digital cinema, but you get my point).

To shamelessly quote Tank from the Matrix, "These are exciting times". (OK I am slightly ashamed :))

What do you guys think?

No 4K option, no 240fps at 1080p and same price as FS700? Not cool.

This is more a FS100 competitor. And I would say that the FS100 could even scrape the C300. Dont know bout this one!

Hmmm, good points, Phil, about the 4K or even the 2.5K resolution that the BMCC offers. Does the BMCC offer 240 fps, if not what does? Sorry about my ignorance on the matter I am by no means a camera expert. Also I keep bringing up the BMCC because it holds a lot of promise when it comes to really opening up the market to low budget folk like me.

The options are opening up and I just want to understand what they mean. Though, as per your points, why then would Canon even make this camera? What is it's purpose if it's cheaper competition offers way more than it does?

Last edited:
The FS700 does 240 fps. The big advantage of the C300 over the Sony's was the codec, the FS700 and 100 use AVCHD. Well, now so does the C100.

It's still too early to tell I think. The C300 is a fabulous camera, I'm sure the C100 will be too. It'll be interesting seeing how the new sensor does compared to the Sonys in the same price range!

Very true. The AVCHD codec is always slated for being so crap. The AVCHD on the FS100 is actually Okay. It grades nicely still without breaking up. Same should go for the C100. Big advantage over FS100 is definitely the fact it has ND's built in.

I would say skip the C100...for the same price you could get a 1D C which shoots 4K at MJPEG which is a compressed 4K but still looks quite nice....

Back