Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II

Has anyone used the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II for video and have some advice associated with it? I'm looking at purchasing it so that I can shoot in slightly lower light situations. I use a Canon 660D/t3i. I currently only have the kit lenses 18-55 & 55-250.

I will also likely be doing Steadicam shots with this.

If anyone knows of a relatively low cost lens to shoot in low light conditions feel free to mention it as well

Last edited:
I own the 50mm and it is excellent. It has great image quality, bokeh, sharpness, but I would always use it on manual focus for moving shots (but that's just me). Because the DoF is so small at the widest aperture, it's not the best for anything beyond a close-up great for close-med and two shots in my opinion.

Here's a photo I took using the lens at it's widest aperture so you can see the DoF: linky
And another for extreme close-ups (macro for photographers): linky

As it is I only shoot on manual anyway. I would be interested to see some close ups of people, particularly at night time, as the low light ability is one of the key features I am looking for

I have this lens but only use it for still shooting where I use autofocus - the focus ring is terrible. For video I use an old pentax 50mm f/1.4 instead - the build quality is so much better, with a large, smooth-rolling focus ring, making it much easier to get good results... you can find them for only a little more than the canon but you get a lot more for your money.

Back