Canon 7D questions...

I should start by saying that I'm new to the whole DSLR world.

A pawn shop by my house has 7D for sale for $1000 that I'm interested in buying. But while looking through the viewfinder, it appears a little cloudy. I tried it with two different lenses, but get the same result. The camera had no power so I couldn't turn it on to see what the LCD looked like.

My question is, is the cloudiness normal in a viewfinder? I've only ever used video cameras and never had to use a viewfinder like the one on this camera. If it's not normal, is it a red flag to not buy the camera? Should I get my hands on a charged battery to look at the LCD screen?

Any help is appreciated?

They'll work, but his point (and he's right) is that of all the old lenses you could adapt to EOS, FD is the worst. Old Nikon, old Pentax, old pretty much anything works better than FD because of the loss of infinity focus.

I gotcha. The camera comes with the 18-55mm lens that was part of the kit. If I need to focus to infinity, I can use that one for now. But I'm still curious to see what kind of stuff I can get with the lenses I have. Especially since for a lot of shots I'll want, I won't need infinity focus...

I found the answer myself for my question above.

The crop factor for the Canon 7D is 1.6. If I use an the EOS to FD adapter, it has a crop factor of 1.26. Which together, will give me a crop factor of 2.02.

So any lens I use should be multiplied by this crop factor to get the true length of the lens. Thus a 50mm will be approx 100mm, and a 28mm will be a 56mm.

So, on top of everything else, it will be difficult to use any of the lenses I have as truly wide lenses...

Okay. Now that I have my 7D (which BTW takes great footage with my FD lenses :P) I'm realizing that this so much more camera than I need. I could easily get away with a T3i to get the same exact quality footage.

That said, I know a guy that is looking to trade his T3i and some cash for a 7D. Assuming both cameras are in excellent condition, how much cash should I expect if we do a body only trade?

Back