Canon 60D and 600D

Hello everyone!
I've been using a Canon 60D at college for shooting films recently and I've got to say, it's an awesome camera. The thing (besides the outstanding quality of the footage) that impressed me was the amount of manual controls you have when on the 'Movie' setting.

My question is: does the Canon 600D have just as many manual controls as the 60D (shutter speed, ISO, White balance, Iris, etc) while in 'Movie' mode? I've been looking at test footage on YouTube and the qualtiy of the two cameras look identical, am I wrong? Is the 60D actually much better than the 600D and I just can't see it? If so, how exactly is the 60D better?

Thanks for answering! (And sorry for all the questions).
- Rob Page

The quality is the same but the 60D in my experience has more ISO controls (i.e. more stops, the 600D only has 100, 200, 400, 800, etc.) The 60D has way more.

Other than that, I think it's basically the same for video, though I haven't used the 60D too much - I own the 600D, though and I love it.

One thing about the 600D, though, is that it's too small for my hand. The 60D is big enough and I can hold it very comfortably. The 600D is a tad bit smaller (my pinky doesn't fit on the grip) so I suggest buying one of those battery attachments that makes it bigger (kind of like a 1D).

The quality is the same but the 60D in my experience has more ISO controls (i.e. more stops, the 600D only has 100, 200, 400, 800, etc.) The 60D has way more.

100, 200, 400, 800 etc. are actually both cameras native ISO values. The 60D offers 160, 320 etc. but they aren't native ISO's, they're ISOs that have been slightly underexposed. Either way, you can achieve these values by using Magic Lantern.

The manual controls and the video quality is 100% the same between the 60D and the 600D. It's really just a matter of going to a camera shop and deciding which body you like more/which you can afford.

Wait wait. Jax rox just wondering what you said about that "not" native ISO's. Can I really achieve it with a magic lantern on my 600D?

I'm a bit scared on using Magic Lantern. There's no guarantee.

- - - -

Sorry for being off-topic.

Back