Canon 5D MkIII video lag issue

I just noticed this today while experimenting around: The video on the LCD is between a quarter of a second and a half a second behind. This could wind up being extremely problematic for scenes where camera movement timing is crucial. The lag is the same whether it's on the camera's LCD or on a separate monitor via HDMI.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a workaround?

Yeah, that's bad. I haven't used the III, but on the II, as well as the 7D and T2i, it's definitely an instant thing, no lag whatsoever. I can't imagine they would take a step back with the III. Sounds like malfunctioning equipment.

Nope. This is the bog-standard MkIII set to 1080p at 24fps.

I first noticed it when running the video via HDMI to my spiffy new flatscreen and aiming the camera so the TV was in the shot. My friend and I noticed the lag as it propagated down through the repeated TVs in the image. Then I noticed there was lag in the original image and that's when I unhooked the HDMI so I could investigate the camera's LCD. Same lag is there, so it's not just an issue with HDMI-out.

Last edited:
I just shot a video with my iPhone of my MkIII in video mode aimed at the Movie Slate app. This has been an excellent demonstration of just how bad mental estimation is.

The actual timed lag? 1/6th of a second. It feels like much longer, but in reality the camera's LCD is exactly 5 iPhone frames behind reality. Still an issue, obviously, but it's not 1/2-a-second bad.

Last time I used a 5DmkIII there was a noticeable 'lag'. Honesty, most cameras I've worked with have some amount of lag, even Alexas and REDs. You only really notice it if you carefully watch their lips on the monitor/viewfinder and realise it's a bit behind what they're saying. It's no big deal, your sound won't be out of sync or anything like that.

Send it in to Canon if you want, but it sounds relatively normal to me (depending how long the lag is), even the FS700 I used not that long ago had a small amount of 'lag'.

Lag on the Alexa is sometimes pretty noticeable... I haven't found a workaround, but to be honest I haven't really found it to be that big an issue to warrant one.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think 1/6th of second in lag is not going to go away and I'll just have to deal. It's not like a DSLR is a hardcore video camera, and I shouldn't expect it to behave like one.

I just tested my mk iii for lag and only observed the tinniest bit when really looking hard for it. If you hadn't mentioned it, I most likely would have not noticed it. I would say that it's normal considering that the image has to be captured, sensed, converted, then displayed before being observed by your eye. All of that stuff takes microseconds which add up.

Back