• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon 5D mk II Stutter

Hello!

Sometimes, when shooting with a Canon 5D Mk II there is an intense jump / stutter / glitch when panning. At first I thought this had to do with autofocus... sometimes, the image would just JUMP into a clearer focus. However, even with AF off (MF), it still happens. It almost sounds like something that is happening inside the lens as there is a CLICK and then I see the stutter recorded. The stutter / jump actually records -- I can see it when playing back as well as recording.

A cinematographer friend said it might be too slow a card and that could be the problem? He said it needs to be 10X minimum... I just check though -- I think the card I'm using is fast? it is a Silicon Power 400X 16 gig card.

It seems like a hardware issue, because again, there is a CLICK that happens before the stutter. I'm sure it is a setting that I am missing? Again, it usually only happens when panning.

Thank you for your thoughts or suggestions in advance! I thought this was just a drawback to a 5D mkii. I was like, aw man, I love the images I can get out of a 5D mkII, but the stutter thing sucks! Which of course, drew a black responses from the two DPs I spoke to about it.

I have noticed, with disappointment, something like that in the video I've shot. But I didn't notice any click sound. I only noticed it when watching later. But I didn't/don't know if it's the camera itself, or maybe Media player or my external hard drive or as you suggest the lens or something else.

I would have thought that the CF cards I've used so far were pretty good (Sandisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s USDMA7). Maybe not.

I haven't tried it, but you might find people addressing it on the net somewhere. Maybe I'll get around to trying that. If you find something elsewhere, please let us know back here. :) I'll do the same if I ever do. Maybe someone else here will tell yet, though. The 5D has fallen out of favor. But one nice thing about using the 5D now is that because it was "a darling" of the DIY filmmaking world, if only for a brief while, there seems to be quite a bit of "support" information posted on YouTube and on other websites for it. Maybe someone somewhere has mentioned it.

You and others here are far more tech savvy than I'll ever be, so maybe this is a stupid thought. But I was also wondering if maybe it's just something that happens sometimes with this technology?

Can it be smoothed out with software?

:( Darn. I was hoping there would at least be a software fix.

This may be a stupid question. Please keep in mind that editing is Greek to me. But is there any chance that new jump cut thing they're coming out with might work for this?

I am hoping that it's not in the video, at all, but in the player or processor or something else, as described by JW in one of those links I sent you in PM.

Last edited:
Back