Canon 5D M2 + Panasonic GH2 for feature...

I own a GH2 and my DP owns a 5D. He suggests that we use both camera's on our feature shoot but I'm worried about the look and feel changing via his and my shots.

My Gh2 is avchd intra via a driftwood hack and knocks out about 100mbps. I also really like my Voigtlkander lens. He has some pro-primes too.

On one hand I want the whole thing to have the look and feel of the hacked Gh2 but on the other hand it would save much time to have a second camera, plus the 5D is awesome in it's own right.

Will there be a noticable difference between the two camera's? If I do use them should I set a routine e.g Gh2 gets master shots, 5D close ups etc?

Can't say that but very expensive ones. I typically shoot with expensive glass for important shots as well. For instance, yesterday and today I'm using Ultra Primes and DP Rouge 30-80

If they're using GH2's as crash cams, though, would expensive lenses really be a smart choice..? I certainly wouldn't want a Master Prime on a GH2 if it were being used as a crash cam.. .even an Ultra prime..

edit:
sorry, just read they were being used as D cams. Disregard ;)

Last edited:
It'll be hard to match them though, canon footage looks SD in comparison, especially in the same cut and especially on a very large screen (2k projector).

This is what worry's me. Is the difference this stark on large screen? Anyone else have any advise on the matter?

Last edited:
This is what worry's me. Is the difference this stark on large screen? Anyone else have any advise on the matter?

Wow... seriously guys, take a deep breath. First SD movies have been printed on 35MM film and been hits all over the world (see 28 Days Later). 5D (and 7D) footage has been mixed with 16MM film as well as 35MM film and nobody ran screaming from the theater demanding their money back (Black Swan, Act of Valor).

Either camera could be mixed either together or with Another comparable camera (Nikon, hell even Alexa or Red) and 99.95% of the audience would have no idea you shot the footage on different cameras if competent post production was done to it.

I'd use the camera the DP was most comfortable with.

Wow... seriously guys, take a deep breath. First SD movies have been printed on 35MM film and been hits all over the world (see 28 Days Later). 5D (and 7D) footage has been mixed with 16MM film as well as 35MM film and nobody ran screaming from the theater demanding their money back (Black Swan, Act of Valor).

Either camera could be mixed either together or with Another comparable camera (Nikon, hell even Alexa or Red) and 99.95% of the audience would have no idea you shot the footage on different cameras if competent post production was done to it.

I'd use the camera the DP was most comfortable with.

I didn't know Black Swan was mixed with 5D and 7D. That's cool I'll check that out.

The thing I'm most worried about is the 'feel'. I know this seems nitpicky but I've never really like the feel of the 5D in narrative film, it feels videoee, plasticee, or maybe it's just bad post who knows. And with the hack changing GH2 gop rates and bit rates it gives the GH2 more of a cinematic edge, not sure why exactly, I just like the motion. But yes you're probably right Gonzo, good gung ho advise there.

Last edited:
It's a taste thing.

I think the GH2 looks plasticy and very "video" while the 5D looks very cinematic. Kholi (and others) will totally disagree with that, which is fine, to each his own.

The scenes in the subway in Black Swan are shot on a 7D, which was mixed with the 16mm film most of the rest of the movie was shot on.

It is stark on a large screen. I don't know if you can get access to a theater to check it out, but I've done it many times (from 30 feet to 60feet--ArcLight Theater in Hollywood) and it is damned obvious. That's why I said if you stick the MKii in a space where it's the strongest--medium-tights and tights, close-ups, etc then it'll cut fine.

Or, if it's just quick cuts etc.

Otherwise, cutting a dialogue scene back and forth between the two cameras will be PRETTY glaring. Do a test for yourself or ask some people who actually do these things instead of speculate.

The problem is... how many people on forums actually do this instead of talk/speculate, anyway?

You can mix anything you want, you can shoot on anything you want, but recognizing the consequences etc is always the way to work.

That's why I said if you stick the MKii in a space where it's the strongest--medium-tights and tights, close-ups, etc then it'll cut fine.

This was my initial plan. With close ups the Bokeh and skin tones of the 5D is better than the GH2 is it not, so that could work IMO. For masters and action I use the GH2.

So how how did the GH2 look on big screen IYO? And do you know what hack was used?

Last edited:
This was my initial plan. With close ups the Bokeh and skin tones of the 5D is better than the GH2 is it not, so that could work IMO. For masters and action I use the GH2.

That depends on who's eyes are looking at it. I absolutely dislike Canon color, and as long as you set WB right on GH2 the skin always comes out much healthier looking to me. Also, I only pay attention to bokeh on beauty shots/shooting, never narrative. So, not sure about that.

GH2 looks better in every situation, to me, but whatever you think it's best at is what you could use it for.

So how how did the GH2 look on big screen IYO?

Looks pretty damned solid. Not as good as Alexa, not as glass-like as Epic 5K, but better than just about any other setup I've seen as far as replicating the "feel" of film. I'm assigning it to the sensor size and motion characteristics, mostly.

If it had more DR and was less fiddly it'd be perfect. Oh Magic Cam... where art thou.

Hack: Quantum V9b last time I put it on a very large screen.

Back