Can I use a HD mini DV (DVC) in a standard definition camera?

Hello. I am a newbie that is steadily working towards his first short. Cash is an issue for me so I had to settle for a GL2. That said to get the best out of my camera I have invested in some decent lighting (a three-point lighting kit from EOS lighting). So as I try to squeeze every ounce of picture quality out of my GL2 what are the best professional quality DVC (Mini DV) tapes that you would recommend? I personally like Panasonic tapes as they always gave me decent picture quality (albeit on my Panasonic 3-CCD palmcorder).

Also, can I use a HD DVC in my GL2? If so, would that give me better picture quality? I know they cost a bit more, and I am not sure of the technical side of things, but they may just take more PC drive space too (not sure of that though) but I am willing to do what it takes to produce a quality looking picture (within the constraints of my ever-so-light budget).

Thanks for all of your help and input.

All MiniDV tapes will give you exactly the same PQ. They simply store the digital output of the camera, not frames of analog information. The difference in the price is the materials they are made out of, with the "professional" models offering a greatly reduced number of "dropouts" or other anomalies. That said, I have used non professional MiniDV tapes and shot hundreds of hours of footage with only a couple of dropouts.

Thanks WideShot.

So when you say all Mini DV tapes are the same, is there much of a difference using an HD Mini DV tape as opposed to SD? Can I use an HD Mini DV in my GL2?

I might stick with the Panasonic professional but I never turn down the opportunity to learn something new. Thanks again.

Back