• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can any of these lenses be used on my T2i??

You can buy adapters to make em fit your T2i!

Thanks phil I found this one.. http://www.adorama.com/CZFDEOS.html There were cheaper ones but I want a little quality. Any idea how it would look compared to EF lenses? I heard you have to go one stop up or something. But anyway do you think it is a good bargain? Even if I just buy it to use the Ae-1 too practice with multiple lenses and not worry about breaking anything haha. That way I can improve my photography skills :)

Edit:

Yeah, whatever adapter you use make certain that it has the correction glass. Er, this only applies to FD lenses on your camera body specifically although it *could* apply in other cases as well.

Anyway, yes, get the highest quality adapter you can stomach affording. :)

I might not know what I am talking about probably but I thought I saw adapters at the store that did not have glass. It was just a ring that makes it so you can attach the lens, but there is no glass in between. You just use the glass from the lens you wanna snap on.

not worth the money or the bother for your T2i.

Nothing special at all. The 50mm is a 1.8 You can get a new 50mm 1.8 EF lens that works with your T2i, for less than $100.

A $150 will get you some decent vintage lenses that DON'T require an adapter with a lens.

Look at m42 lens mount lenses for the best value \ choices for vintage glass to adapt to the T2i.

Adapters are cheap and mechanically simple for m42.
old non electronic Nikon manual focus lenses are great but much more expensive, adapters are a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
not worth the money or the bother for your T2i.

Nothing special at all. The 50mm is a 1.8 You can get a new 50mm 1.8 EF lens that works with your T2i, for less than $100.

A $150 will get you some decent vintage lenses that DON'T require an adapter with a lens.

Look at m42 lens mount lenses for the best value \ choices for vintage glass to adapt to the T2i.

Adapters are cheap and mechanically simple for m42.
old non electronic Nikon manual focus lenses are great but much more expensive, adapters are a bit more expensive.

Thanks man, do you think you can send me some examples of m4s lenses never heard of those before?

I might not know what I am talking about probably but I thought I saw adapters at the store that did not have glass. It was just a ring that makes it so you can attach the lens, but there is no glass in between. You just use the glass from the lens you wanna snap on.

It depends on the lens/camera body combination. Some will require correction glass in the adapter, others will not. The ideal is to select a combination that does not, but in some cases (Like 2/3" broadcast zooms on an AF-101 for example) it might be considered worth the loss to use an optical adapter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Read that first.

The necessity of the glass optic in the FD->EFs lens mount is because the FFD for the lens is SHORTER than the available distance afforded by the EFs mount+adapter solution. The lens serves to correct this. For example the above chart shows that an FD system has a flange distance of 42mm, while EFs has a distance of 44mm.

In the case of Wheat's much better suggestion, the m42 FFD is sufficiently longer compared to EFs that an adapter can be constructed to bridge the gap and place the rear element of the lens at the correct distance from the image sensor for critical focus to occur. In this case m42 has an FFD of 45.46mm, which is longer than the EFs value of 44mm, and therefore an adapter can be manufactured without a correction glass.

Last edited:
I confess that I never TRIED the FD lens with glass adapter on my T2i. So I am sorta making assumption that it is sub optimal based on specs and what not.

The M42 to EOS adapter is so mechanically simple and inexpensive that it is very practical to have a separate one attached to each lens.

Having never tried it either, I'll hazard that it's still a good guess that optical correction required < no correction required when putting vintage lenses on DSLR or EVIL bodies.

The transmission loss alone is enough to be a turn off, outside of that anything else is conjecture. The only certainty with them is that you lose light.

In the case of broadcast lenses on m4/3, you're correcting for the fact that those lenses were designed for a split prisim CCD capture device - essentially correcting for chromatic abberation. Still a loss of light through those, fairly significant iirc.

Back