• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can a script be too small in scope?

Can a screenplay be too small in scope? I mean is if the story and premise on the surface would automatically label it as a potential block buster, but the script sticks to mostly the same hand full locations for long periods of time.

Re: Re:

I was planning on writing a young adult novel or two first to fund getting a short made, or a manager or two
I have been working on this script since I was 12 so I am determined to get it on screen with me behind the camera somehow, even if I have to "christianize" the film, which is a last resort. Since that means the female protagonist will no longer be a lesbian. other stuff would have to go to.

Either that or I could write it as a book, and buy the film rights back and have it under contract that I have to be either the director, or the co-director and chose a main director of my choosing. Anyone but Ulli Lommel... sheesh he fell off the wagon..

I was planning on writing a young adult novel or two first to fund getting a short made, or a manager or two
I have been working on this script since I was 12 so I am determined to get it on screen with me behind the camera somehow, even if I have to "christianize" the film, which is a last resort. Since that means the female protagonist will no longer be a lesbian. other stuff would have to go to.

Why would you have to "Christianize" the film?

I hear you OP and I appreciate your passion but I would say to not put in a huge amount of work into this. Put your energy into scripts that you can film yourself.

Anyway, it will help with your directing experience if you're one of the one in a million who actually gets a multi-million dollar directing gig.

What you want is what most film makers dream about too. The sad reality is that only an exceptionally lucky and/or gifted few get to live that reality.

+1 on what ChimpPhobiaFilms said

The company below does great on-line training. I think you can join for free for a month. Otherwise it is a modest monthly fee for the 2,000+ courses they offer. After you complete a course, you can print out a personalized course completion certificate. So you can add them to your resume - could well help with the job hunt.

http://www.lynda.com/

Can a screenplay be too small in scope? I mean is if the story and premise on the surface would automatically label it as a potential block buster, but the script sticks to mostly the same hand full locations for long periods of time.

Yes. I don't think it has to do anything with locations though, but rather character goals. It doesn't matter how much of an average joe your character is, or how boring a location the film takes place in. As long as the conflict your character faces is the BIGGEST conflict they will face in their life, it doesn't matter what that conflict is. I believe that scripts only feel small in scope when character goals are small in scope

+1 on what ChimpPhobiaFilms said

The company below does great on-line training. I think you can join for free for a month. Otherwise it is a modest monthly fee for the 2,000+ courses they offer. After you complete a course, you can print out a personalized course completion certificate. So you can add them to your resume - could well help with the job hunt.

http://www.lynda.com/

Thanks for the (sort of) plug, IndiePaul! I actually teach the Screenwriting Fundamentals course on Lynda.com. I agree, the site is a great resource (and not just because I'm on it).

Back