Camera mounts for close-to-the-ground scenes?

So, short of having a massive budget for a proper steadicam, I'm wondering if there's any options out there for me to mount a camera for shots that are extremely close to the ground without having to straight-up do it myself.

It doesn't need to be anything really fancy, just enough to hold a small handy-cam style camcorder close to the ground so I don't have to constantly stoop over to get the shots I'm wanting. I'm hoping to keep the budget under $100. Any ideas?

I actually was toying with doing it upside down, but I'd really like to keep the post to a minimum to make sure I get the best quality shot with my equipment. Otherwise I'd just grab my current tripod by the legs and flip it upside down. :v

Shot or Sand bags.

Cine-saddle (expensive) or DIY Saddle with an old backpack full of fluff (whatever is handy) - DO NOT USE T DIY CineSaddle for a car mount. I've seen enough real Saddles rip open on car mounts.

"Pancakes," 1/4 or 1/2 apples.

Really, unless you need to move the camera, just set it on anything that will keep it clean, dry, and stable enough to get your shot (with your hands on it).

If you need to lock it off, things get more complicated, but not by much. Really, unless the camera moves there's no need for a special rig.

Shot or Sand bags.

Cine-saddle (expensive) or DIY Saddle with an old backpack full of fluff (whatever is handy) - DO NOT USE T DIY CineSaddle for a car mount. I've seen enough real Saddles rip open on car mounts.

"Pancakes," 1/4 or 1/2 apples.

Really, unless you need to move the camera, just set it on anything that will keep it clean, dry, and stable enough to get your shot (with your hands on it).

If you need to lock it off, things get more complicated, but not by much. Really, unless the camera moves there's no need for a special rig.

Well, moving the camera was the idea, actually. Otherwise stooping over for a few seconds wouldn't be an issue. Remaining stooped over for 10 minutes or more becomes decidedly problematic. :v

Well, moving the camera was the idea, actually. Otherwise stooping over for a few seconds wouldn't be an issue. Remaining stooped over for 10 minutes or more becomes decidedly problematic. :v

I had a feeling movement was important. :)

Hell, you're on a beach using a lightweight camera, right?

I'd find some boards or plywood (size/shape appropriate to your moves. A long 1"x12" for a long straight move, or a 4'x4' piece of sign board (MDF or something) and use that as a platform for a skateboard or similar (possibly purpose built) device. Being on the beach you can also dig down some to get your platform below the actual sand level, resulting in a lens closer to the ground.

Or something along those lines.

If this is more for general use than for a specific setup, then the flexibility of learning the tripod method might be your best bet. YMMV and all that. ;)

Could this be a use for the Evil Dead camera trick...long board, two people to hold either end, camera in the middle. You can use ropes around the ends so the people holding it can lower it without bending over, though moving the camera might be a bit trickier, since it would carry momentum and rock back and forth. Maybe instead of ropes, a 2x4, bracketed to the camera board on either end would work better.

Back