Camera/Equipment Advice Needed

Hey Everyone, I have been reading different discussions on this site for a while now and have some questions of my own.

I have little experience in filmmaking, but plan on making several music videos for musician friends, as well as some fundraising material for non-profits. In addition, my real dream is to make documentaries.

Right now I am trying to figure out what camera and computer/software I should invest in. I am looking to spend somewhere between 5-6k on these items.

I am kind of thinking of sticking to SD for now, and I am under the impression that native 16:9 will be crucial if my work will be projected. Also, I am leaning towards a MacBook Pro with FCP.

All my researching has been quite overwhelming and I was looking for some good input since you all seem to know what you're talking about.

Thanks

If I were going to buy an SD camera I would probably get a Canon GL(1 or 2), Canon XL(1 or 2), or DVX100(a or b)

The DVX would be my first choice as I think it's really about the best Prosumer SD camera available.

You might also look into an IFP membership, as I see you're in Minneapolis and we have a local IFP office that rents gear for pretty cheap. That would save you on lighting -- also the prices at cinequipt aren't bad for most things either.

Anyway, I mention the IFP thing because I don't know whether you're aware or not but they offer several classes and I believe they are still doing documentary classes. Last I saw they were taught by Melody Gilbert

Oh, and :welcome:

Back