C Stand Alternative for China ball

Great design and nice project, but this statement is false:

These heavy duty light stands are more stable and able to support more weight than the usual tripod type light stand.

I mean I suppose it depends on what kind of "tripod type" stand he is talking about, but ...

C-stands are rarely used to hold an actual light unless it is very small (like a 150 or similar) or very lightweight (like a china ball). They're for holding grip-ology. Solids, Nets, floppys, cukes, whatever.

A C-stand isn't nearly as stable as an actual baby or junior stand - especially in terrain where a "mountain leg" is needed, and double especially when a heavy light is involved.

And always bag the high leg on your c-stand kids. :D

wow, thanks David! Iv been lamenting the need for c stands as I though it was just supposed to have them.. my tripod style stands(some Smith Victor, some perl (drum stuff)) seem to work fine.... do you have links to 101 info on this stuff..
Thanks again.

Welcome, and thanks for the compliment. After I wrote that I realized I might have sounded like a pedantic jerk again. :D

Just for reference, I'm probably thinking in terms of larger and heavier lights than some folks will end up using. I guess the point was that no one hangs a 575 HMI on a c-stand. (Maybe a Joker in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it.) Those go on heavier tripod stands, baby stands if I am not mixing up the names. Also, c-stands are really awful on uneven ground, and as you arm out on them with weight you really need to counterweight the base or it'll fall over regardless of the surface they are on.

For a lot of DIY lighting stuff c-stands are probably great, as are tripod base stands like the ones you mentioned.

I haven't found any online resource about Griponomics that is as good as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Lighting-Technicians-Handbook-Third/dp/0240804953

I thought there were segments of it in Google Books, but can't seem to locate them at the moment. Excellent reference, totally worth the money, especially if you can get your hands on a used copy.

Edit:

I have been on some jobs where folks used c-stands for almost everything, including lights. Others where the only light ever to touch a c-stand is a LitePanel, and even then without the arm. For the indie world, use whatever you can within reasonable bounds of safety. In the pro-world, grabbing the wrong stand around the wrong DP/Gaffer/Key Grip can get you at best a tongue lashing, at worst fired.

Last edited:
Back